Need Yeast Equipment, But What to Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shine

Reaction score
Looking for a solid list of supplies to start managing, growing and culturing my own yeast strains. I live in the middle of Australia and getting good packaged strains in is hit or miss, not to mention that it takes WEEKS to get anything here. So, any help here on equipment and how-to references would be very greatly appreciated.

What do they call canning jars in Australia? You'll need some of those in quart and pint size for yeast harvesting and rinsing.

If you can, build yourself a DIY stir plate. There are plenty of threads in the DIY sub-forum about that. It will help you to obtain a larger number of cells with a smaller sized starter. You'll also need a 2L Erlenmeyer Pyrex flask and a magnetic stirbar.

Since it sounds like you are in the outback, you might want to keep a small collection of dry yeast packets on hand just in case. Nottingham is great if you can keep your ferment consistently below 20*C. US-05 will tolerate 1-2*C higher.

Looking for a solid list of supplies to start managing, growing and culturing my own yeast strains. I live in the middle of Australia and getting good packaged strains in is hit or miss, not to mention that it takes WEEKS to get anything here. So, any help here on equipment and how-to references would be very greatly appreciated.

Hi Shine
Firstly getting yeast by mail order to Alice Springs is not an issue and I strongly recommend ESB Brewing's on line ordering. Fast and well packaged with a cold pack.

Yeast ranching can be done cheaply but if you like spending money then get all the best toys. If your plan is to wash yeast and store in the fridge under water then look at this thread. You do not need canning jars specifically as any old jars with lids will be fine. My wife bottles jam and reuses an assortment of jars over and over and they always seal perfectly. I have used them for years for yeast storage as well.

Yes you can build a stir plate (it is not essential to have one though) but if you are out in the sticks then order one online here

I find it best to harvest yeast from the first starter you make with a new smack pack or vial of yeast and here is a guide.

Happy yeast ranching mate.

This is all outstanding information! Thanks. I will most likely go with harvesting from a new smack pack. Seems the most reasonable way to go... Thanks for the info!

Back