Color malt with little to no flavor impact

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBMbrewer

Reaction score
I want to brew a red ale. Not a traditional american or irish red but a beer with a nice ruby red color to it. I've got a base beer with a projected srm of 5.9 but I would like it to be up around 15 to 16. I know I can use roasted barely, black malt, crystal 120, cara red or even chocolate malt. Which one of these would I be able to use to achieve a good red color without a flavor contribution?

Most highly kilned grains are going to affect the flavor along with the color. De-bittered black malt will help increase the SRM without excess roasty flavors.

I made an Red Ale using a technique where a small amount of roasted barley was added during the sparge - it wasn't mashed. It added color but very little flavor (or fermentables).

I made an Red Ale using a technique where a small amount of roasted barley was added during the sparge - it wasn't mashed. It added color but very little flavor (or fermentables).

What do you mean by a small amount?

Briess's midnight wheat is a newer one you could use. Not sure about it's use in red beers, but it's been popular for black IPAs.

Briess's midnight wheat is a newer one you could use. Not sure about it's use in red beers, but it's been popular for black IPAs.

That's what I was going to recommend. Midnight wheat will add a nice red color if used in very small quantaties. You probably would only need 1-2oz thrown in at the end of the mash, like 5-10 minutes before you mashout and vorlauf.

Back