leaky lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendenburg2

Reaction score
bought a corny keg a while back, and the lid slightly leaks, at least at pressures between 2-5 psi. apparently at 5 psi and above it seats well enough to hold the seal. Normally i wouldn't complain about this, but i just got an aeration stone for the keg and found that since the pressure must be increased gradually, (2 PSI per hour), the lid never properly seats and so all the CO2 that gets put in the keg vents out. adding extra vacuum grease doesn't seem to help, and neither does a thicker o-ring. does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to fix the lid? (would prefer answers that don't involve buying a new one)

Well you tried all the normal tricks, you might as well give this one a try: stick a dime under each of the locking bail feet as you lock it down. The extra pressure might help seal the lid.

As for why the lid is so recalcitrant, does it sit flat on its flange, or is it bent? Have you tried swapping it with the lid from a similar keg to see if the problem is a bent lid or a bent keg?

Cheers!

I had the same issue, i had the stone hooked up to the gas post, so I blasted the co2 into the beer post until the lid sealed. Then carbed with the stone starting at 5 psi. I left it at 5-6psi for a few hours just to compensate.

From my experience, you need at least 5 psi to get the lid to seal. I've used an aeration stone to carb up stouts with beer gas. I'd say start at 5psi and then bump it over time if that is what you are looking for.

I had the same issue, i had the stone hooked up to the gas post, so I blasted the co2 into the beer post until the lid sealed. Then carbed with the stone starting at 5 psi. I left it at 5-6psi for a few hours just to compensate.

yeah the problem with that is my beer stone is .5 micron, so it takes a while to build up pressure and eventually it leaks at the same rate it builds up. also, the foam built up and started coming out of the pressure relief valve and the lid seam

Well you tried all the normal tricks, you might as well give this one a try: stick a dime under each of the locking bail feet as you lock it down. The extra pressure might help seal the lid.

As for why the lid is so recalcitrant, does it sit flat on its flange, or is it bent? Have you tried swapping it with the lid from a similar keg to see if the problem is a bent lid or a bent keg?

Cheers!

eh, only one corny keg. I suppose i could take it to my HBS and try swapping out lids, see if i could just exchange mine for another refubished keg's lid. also, tried the dime trick. locking bar won't lock, or it pushed the dimes out.

eh, only one corny keg. I suppose i could take it to my HBS and try swapping out lids, see if i could just exchange mine for another refubished keg's lid. also, tried the dime trick. locking bar won't lock, or it pushed the dimes out.

The bar and feet is not designed to hold pressure, just guide the lid. I just set the stones to the desired pressure and drink the beer the next day. The instructions are too much work.

Keg lids are designed to work when under pressure. They are not faulty if leaks with no pressure.

Back