Getting Wort to Pitching Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozart

Reaction score
Quick question...

As I posted to another thread, I now have a small temperature controlled chest freezer to use as a fermentation chiller.

For those of you that have similar, do you cool the wart to pitching temp in your chiller, or do you do a water/ice bath first?

If it makes a difference, the chest freezer is 5.1 cubit feet, and I do partial boils (about 3 gallons) to yield a 5 gallon batch.

Cheers!

I recently just started using both a counterflow chiller and a small 4.4 cu fridge that i turned into a fermentation chamber. I brewed on the 4th so my tap water was still pretty cold, it took the wort down to high 50's. I wanted to ferment around 68 so what I did was put the carboy in the fermentation chamber for about 45 minutes to an hour before i pitched. This also gave the rehydrated yeast time to come down a bit from the 80ish degree temps from rehydrating and also give the wort a chance to warm up a bit.

You'll prob find a few different opinions on how close to pitching temp the wort and your yeast should be but as long as they are within a reasonable range ( < 10 degrees) you should be ok.

I chill my wort down to about 75F,strain into fermenter,& top off with COLS local spring water to about 64F. Good ale temp.

Latest posts

Back