Used immersion chiller straight from the box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenyabob

Reaction score
I bought and assembled a 50ft immersion chiller this past week, and just used it. After searching for some tips on cleaning the chiller after use, I found a lot of people talking about how they cleaned it before they used it.

I realize this is a RDWHAHB moment, but now I am uncertain how whatever oils present on the copper will affect my beer. I am guessing quite negatively. Unsure what my next move is. Wait and see?

I took a very small sample before putting it into the bucket, and it tasted a bit bitter, sort of like I was tasting the cold break. I wish I had taken more.

Before the first use, just boil it in water for, say, 10 minutes. Then put it in the brew kettle during the last 10 minutes of the boil to sanitize it.

Totally understood, this is something I realized too late however. So my question is — having forgotten to do clean the chiller, is it even worth waiting to see if my beer is salvageable, or even safe to drink?

It will be fine. However, if you really don't think it is, send it to me for immediate testing/tasting and I will let you know.

Cheers
:mug:

Thanks for the help on this. Just gets you nervous when you spend 40+ dollars on ingredients and then overlook something so simple! Here's to hoping for a tasty brew!

Yep, it came out fine. There were *zero* grimy or gross tastes to it. Lot of worry over nothing. Let that be a lesson to anyone else who finds this thread after a similar mistake.

On head retention, it was an extract brew, and while the head retention wasn't phenomenal, it was on par with other extracts Ive done.

Back