I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
passedpawn said:
I've got a confession to make.

The last two times I cried: In my mom's arms, 16 yrs old, when she apologized to me for a lot of things that I won't get into here. And when she died in Mexico. I'm not an emotional person, and I don't get that way on Mother's Day or any other day, but when I look back I know that I loved her and she made me what I am, and I miss her.

Happy Mothers Day to all the moms out there.

Thanks for sharing the memories PP. Childhood was pretty rough, maybe not as rough as yours. But there was never a doubt in my mind of my mothers love. I know she felt guilty about a lot of the things that went on back then, but I am grateful for the time we have to spend together now. There's been a lot of healing that's taken place in my adult life. My children will barely remember their mother when they are my age. The youngest was just 2 when I took my kids out of there.

PP and BBL thank you for sharing. My mom passed on in 2001 after a 5 year battle with cancer. I miss her everyday still. When I was around 16 or 17 she let me use her car one night. Only thing she had ever saved up and bought just for herself. I crashed it on a country gravel road. I was fine, the car was totaled. Stupid teenage recklessness. She let me know too that it was the only thing she ever bought for herself. She'd raised 4 kids, worked hard helping my dad build a successful Chiropractic practice.. The car was something she did for herself. It was 10-15 years old at the time but in good shape and she was proud of it.

She forgave me of course. I have never forgiven myself completely though. Happy Mother's day to all moms.

Thanks for sharing the memories PP. Childhood was pretty rough, maybe not as rough as yours. But there was never a doubt in my mind of my mothers love. I know she felt guilty about a lot of the things that went on back then, but I am grateful for the time we have to spend together now. There's been a lot of healing that's taken place in my adult life. My children will barely remember their mother when they are my age. The youngest was just 2 when I took my kids out of there.

My childhood was not rough. It was unique in ways I can't get into here.

passedpawn said:
My childhood was not rough. It was unique in ways I can't get into here.

You've touched on it a little I think. Moving around a lot, going without, having to help support the family at an early age. Am I mixing you up? My issues were all emotional, our family was very violent. Lots of fighting. I learned how to fight though, so I guess I got that out of it.. :/

I hope all moms had a great Mother's Day! I did. My daughter's in college in the next city over from my son and she came down and we all went out to dinner at the place where my son works. It was fun.

My son asked me to please stop talking to myself in front of his friends. I wasn't even talking to myself!! The one time I was talking to the lettuce and another time to a stain on the floor. I don't talk to myself!! Well, maybe sometimes I think aloud. Anyway, was a great day.

I also keep a backpack of stuff, my emergency things. In a handy location. Glad to see I'm not the only one. Most of my real life friends don't have a bag. I'll also have to remember to add a couple bottles of beer to mine.

BobbiLynn, sounds like a great day for you. Real happy to hear you had a wonderful Mother's day with your kids Sis!! :mug:

Thanks, Dan. I also called hubby today, the truck broke down and one of his chickens died. A fight between 2 roosters. And guess what he did? He buried it!! Dang, if I would have found it, it would have been dinner, chicken casserole would be good. Hubby and other family are getting along fine without me. Finally having my first beer of the day, and probably also my last. Exhausting day.

Tried to snake the drain for my bathroom sink, that really didn't work. It just made the drain even slower. I gave up after about an hour.

Before I got into that, I made some more icecream mix. I've showered, and the chilled ice cream mix is turning now. I took a good look at the recipes in the book that came with my ice cream maker. I have come to the conclusion that whomever decided to include them with the ice cream maker is an idiot. They all make about 5 cups of liquid. The ice cream maker has a 1 1/2 quart, or 6 cup capacity. That means the recipes totally fill the bucket and don't allow for even close to enough overrun.

Sawed a lot of wood in my teens, didn't seem much of a task with a chainsaw. Neatest tool ever was a splitting axe. Now, hmmm.

Tonight my 19 year old daughter had a couple friends come over for dinner. Was really nice. My daughter hasn't seen her mom in a year or so, her friend John mom and dad passed from cancer a few years back and the girl Stephanie is from the Phillipines and hasn't seen her parents in a few years. Was nice to share family time with them especially on a special day. My daughter asked her friend John to guess my age. He gave an age about 6 years older than I am.

Wake up call. I need to go back in the woods with a chainsaw and splitting axe and get my old arse in shape.
My memory told me it wasn't a big deal either. After half an hour of cutting trunks and limbing in the mess of a brush pile on my back property my body tells me differently.

Though I am more out of shape then I thought.

The new batch of ice cream is really good. It's a vanilla coconut milk custard type ice cream.

1/2 cup granulated sugar.
2 egg yolks, make sure to get the white stringy thing off.
1 13.5 oz can of coconut milk.
A little water.
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
A dash of salt.

Add the egg yolks and sugar to a medium bowl and beat until the mixture is creamy and has lightened in color. Add one cup of coconut milk. Pour the remaining coconut milk into a measuring cup and add water until the volume equals 1 cup. Add to bowl. Add vanilla and salt. Mix thoroughly. Pour into a sauce pan and heat on medium until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, stirring constantly. Do not boil. Chill, turn, eat.

One of the great things about being a homebrewer, anytime you want you can go stay with college kids, and as long as you keep brewing they won't even mention rent or bill money. I think I'll stay here long enough to get these boys into shape. A grill and some fresh herbs and vegetables on the patio. Get them eating better, they are all too skinny and probably malnourished.

Keep thinking, like SharonaZ said. I'm not worried, at any given moment I've got a dozen different places I can go stay for a bit. Maybe I'll even do that, go stay with various friends, get around different people for a bit. Try to have a wider perspective.

You've touched on it a little I think. Moving around a lot, going without, having to help support the family at an early age. Am I mixing you up? My issues were all emotional, our family was very violent. Lots of fighting. I learned how to fight though, so I guess I got that out of it.. :/

Ditto. On issues, and family. Without a doubt I still have issues but at least I'm away from that household...

emjay said:
Ditto. On issues, and family. Without a doubt I still have issues but at least I'm away from that household...

It's tough. I had to move back in for about a year after my divorce, and while it wasn't nearly as bad as when I was a kid(probably because my kids were there too) it was still hard. My mom and dad will get into it over the most ridiculous things, and I honestly don't see how they've managed together for 40 years. My mom's calmed down a lot though. She was close to psychopathic growing up.

The situation with hubby was almost like flashbacks from my past so I know how you guys feel in a way. Him wanting to argue and me, well, I can only take so much before I snap back. Bad combo. Flashbacks, go travel for a while. And traveling to me is not something expensive. It's just becoming a nomad for a while and let things happen as they may. Don't fight it.

Did I ever tell you that one time at a restaurant a little boy came up to me and asked if I was a "real" hippie. Hubby told him, no, she's too young and the kid walked away.

Thinking about having a second beer before heading off to bed. The pale ale batch I am drinking now is over 5% ABV, I'm pretty sure. I figured the higher ABV beers should be tucked away safely in my room(formerly my son's room). Hmmm.... I'm just going to keep thinking things over.

Punity said:
Am I wrong for blaming my mother for enabling my brothers addictions?

Depends on what you think she did. If she lets him live in the house rent free and supplies him with drugs or money for them, then definitely.

So for the first time in years I made pork tenderloin for Sunday dinner. Last time I tried this was 6-7 years ago. Opened the bag and stench.. they were off.

Today for Mother's Day I tried them again. Real simple to make and delicious. Ground rosemary in a morter and pestal, crushed the garlic and added salt and pepper. Mixed it all with EVO. Marinated a few hours and then grilled turning every 4-5 minutes for about 30 minutes. Removed from the grill and wrapped in Al foil for about 10 minutes.

Sliced into 1/3" pieces. Served with rice pilaf and steamed asparagus. It was pretty tasty. My daughter who doesn't like any meat but chicken said "Dad, you should make this again".

Success! I'm going to make this again.

So for the first time in years I made pork tenderloin for Sunday dinner. Last time I tried this was 6-7 years ago. Opened the bag and stench.. they were off.

Today for Mother's Day I tried them again. Real simple to make and delicious. Ground rosemary in a morter and pestal, crushed the garlic and added salt and pepper. Mixed it all with EVO. Marinated a few hours and then grilled turning every 4-5 minutes for about 30 minutes. Removed from the grill and wrapped in Al foil for about 10 minutes.

Sliced into 1/3" pieces. Served with rice pilaf and steamed asparagus. It was pretty tasty. My daughter who doesn't like any meat but chicken said "Dad, you should make this again".

Success! I'm going to make this again.
You know what's wrong with this recipe? No bacon. :D

It does sound good, tenderloin can get really dry.

You know what's wrong with this recipe? No bacon. :D

It does sound good, tenderloin can get really dry.

I saw a few recipes for bacon wrapped pork tenderloin and almost tried one. :mug:

This tenderloin turned out just about perfect. Nice grill marks on the outside, even looked burn't in parts but juicy on the inside. I didn't probe a thermometer in it but know it was done. Inside was just a little bit pink. Probably beginners luck but, LG it was good!

Look who's still up. :rockin: Man....trading mothers was more of a job than I thought It'd be......I hope my buddy made it out alive. :D

Yea that's basically it. She just thinks it'll get better on it own.

It might. I've been there, and got myself out of it. Though nobody really knew about it.

Chances are though, it won't get better without some outside incentive.

Am I wrong for blaming my mother for enabling my brothers addictions?

Mothers will almost always side with their kids, often in an unhealthy manner. Not sure what you can do about it though, situation might be out of your control. I used to resent my parents for everything they did for my siblings, and why didn't they help me when I needed help? They said, because you have always been able to take care of yourself, your sisters aren't so fortunate. You can't make your parents think a certain way. Try not to let it bother you and concentrate on yourself and your own relationship with them. Family relationships are tough.

I have a promising prospective job offer back home. They contacted me today and said just waiting for references, then we can meet in person. It's organic landscaping and creating edible gardens. They are looking for artistic individuals who also have some knowledge of organic practices. I believe I am more than qualified and also the pay is good. Something to do for a while and save up some money. Also, hours would be flexible. I need to stay busy, keeps me out of trouble. Work for them while waiting for my own crops. Then it will be juggle time, but I'm good at juggling multiple tasks. People have told me, when you need something done, ask the busiest person you know. I'm that busy person. Though lately I haven't been busy enough, I can't stand the waiting game. A regular paycheck I can count on is just what I need at the moment.

Yea I feel bad because its just mom dads to busy doing whatever in mexico. But its so painfully obvious to me why my mother can't sell her house, can't keep money in the bank, and makes everything uncomfortable. I don't hardly go over to her house anymore becuase its just uncomfortable and weird for me to be there with the 23 year old druggie living in the basement. Sometimes i wanna kick his out myself and save my mom but that couldn't ever happen.

I am going to have to research that a bit. I get really stressed at times with my own business and 4 kids. They just found a spot on my dads lung. Maybe I could help him if I new something about it. I am a strong believer in mind over matter. Prayers for him if you would be so kind...I am in disbelief right now...

Hey all! Quoting myself here. I think your thoughts and prayers are helping. They sent him home from the VA today. Anemic, celiac, beaver fever and most likely a long term infection. Still scheduled for a biopsy. I hope that will be OK. He had a GREAT Doc and he is betting on infection as the culprit. Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. I feel optimistic right now and your support will never be forgotten. Cheers all! I'm having a few in relief right now. Also making pizza on the grill when Wifey gets home. I piled on the wood. Gotta be 600* by now.

Hey all! Quoting myself here. I think your thoughts and prayers are helping. They sent him home from the VA today. Anemic, celiac, beaver fever and most likely a long term infection. Still scheduled for a biopsy. I hope that will be OK. He had a GREAT Doc and he is betting on infection as the culprit. Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. I feel optimistic right now and your support will never be forgotten. Cheers all! I'm having a few in relief right now. Also making pizza on the grill when Wifey gets home. I piled on the wood. Gotta be 600* by now.

It's difficult to have a scare like that! You will know more soon. Pizza on the grill sounds delicious.

Yea I feel bad because its just mom dads to busy doing whatever in mexico. But its so painfully obvious to me why my mother can't sell her house, can't keep money in the bank, and makes everything uncomfortable. I don't hardly go over to her house anymore becuase its just uncomfortable and weird for me to be there with the 23 year old druggie living in the basement. Sometimes i wanna kick his out myself and save my mom but that couldn't ever happen.

Secretly threaten him. Hee, hee.

passedpawn thinks we should move onto other topics, I think. I get so mad at family members sometimes too. There is private messaging system here to really rant and rave with each other when needed.

It's difficult to have a scare like that! You will know more soon. Pizza on the grill sounds delicious.

It is still scary but It is nice to have some hope for alternatives to the big "C".

I made the sauce and it is good. The dough was kneaded and raised in the bread machine so...we'll see.

My best to you Bobbi. I won't be happy until you have your life back as you want it. You deserve it and don't ever think otherwise.:mug:

lschiavo said:

Sounds like better news than you were preparing for. I've been with my mother in ICU all day. She's having a lot of trouble breathing. She just now started to complain about her breathing machine (BiPAP), so maybe she's feeling a little better.

passedpawn thinks we should move onto other topics, I think.

No, do what you like. I wouldn't think of changing anything here.

Lead posted some naughty stuff. Not that naughty really, but I'd say too much for here.

BTW, if you guys/gals think I got a manual or something when I became a mod, you would be very wrong. I'm winging it and acting like I know what I'm doing. Bwaaah!

Lead posted some naughty stuff. Not that naughty really, but I'd say too much for here.

BTW, if you guys/gals think I got a manual or something when I became a mod, you would be very wrong. I'm winging it and acting like I know what I'm doing. Bwaaah!

You are the Cool mod and I mean it. You do know what you are doing...part of the crew...but moderating the crew...perfect!

Secretly threaten him. Hee, hee.

passedpawn thinks we should move onto other topics, I think. I get so mad at family members sometimes too. There is private messaging system here to really rant and rave with each other when needed.

I should ski mask and a big gun with a German Shepard

Yeah, maybe a bit to much for this forum. :eek:

Wait, they didn't give you a manual? Does that make you an automatic mod then?

Just think of something hilarious and frightening...

Creamy as a mod.

Sorry.
:eek: Don't scare me like that.

Back