Need help, carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflinvile

BrewCrew1002
Reaction score
Bottled my RIS in 22 oz bottles. Been in the bottles about a month. There is a defiate alcohol presence 8.4% fg. Taste is about spot on for a RIS, it just doesn't seem very carbonated. There is almost no head when poured. Help please!!

How long was it aging before you bottled? You may not have a lot of healthy yeast left in there.

What was the batch size, and how much priming sugar (and what sugar, ie, dextrose?) did you use? What temp were they bottle conditioning at?

Generally speaking, the trick is to do one oz dextrose per gallon of beer, allow three weeks in the bottles @ 70 degrees F, then cold storage.

Was this an extract or All grain recipe, the No head could have been from mash problems, also depending on the yeast you used they could have died from alcohol poisoning. What type of yeast did you use?

A Russian Imperial Stout is going to easily take 2-3 times longer than the average brew to carbonate/condition.

I'd be inclined to give it 4-5 months before drinking for best results.

2nd Floyd, high gravity beers typically take a lot longer in all stages. You will notice the longer it sits the better the lacing and head retention

I've got a milk chocolate stout (OG 1.057) 7 weeks in the bottles that's just now reaching full carbonation. It still hasn't fully matured flavor-wise. I'll try it again in about a month.

Latest posts

Back