Is my hefe ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winenewb172

Reaction score
Hi all, I brewed my first beer last Monday a pretty basic hefe recipe using the wyeast 3068 strain. On Tuesday we had a heat wave and my ac wouldn't work so it got up to 83 degrees in the house for a day or so and I've got it cooled back down to about 68 in the fermenter since then. I have no idea how hot it got in there that day. Is my beer gonna be nasty?

It probably will have solvent-like flavors from fusel alcohols as a result of the high temperatures that early in to fermentation, yes.

I had a similar issue with a hefe last summer. ambient temp in the house was 78 and the temp in the carboy was higher with the yeast activity to high. I was very disappointed with the result. It definitely has the solvent like flavors. However, I friend of mine couldn't drink enough of it. He loved it and several others enjoyed it.

Bottom line, let it fully ferment and bottle. It may be bad, it may be good, it may depend on your personal taste.

I have taken the other extreme and have a hefe in the fermenter now. It spent 9 days at 62F and then moved to 65F. I'll bottle at about 15 days. Now I run the risk of losing some of those wonderful banana notes.

Post the results after you taste it.

I just tasted a hydro sample and it isn't terrible I drank the whole sample. It's obviously flat and maybe a little water with a bit of an off taste in the finish but it's only a week old so heck I still got hope

From the looks of the bucket it had some serious activity going on in there at some point

Overall it tasted like beer. Flat beer so I guess that's not too bad. It was only hot for a few hours until I got home so maybe I saved it

This shouldn't happen again I'm turning my basement into a brewery/winery with a temp controlled fermentation room and of course a pool table. Cuz you need one to brew right?

Will any of the off flavors age out of this or are they pretty much stuck there? It's been sitting at 1.01 for three days now and doesn't taste bad just not great. Of course it's warm and flat

Back