Help on a style, and recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilDeadAsh

Reaction score
I would really like to make a clone of Harpoon Dark (sometimes seen as Harpoon Munich Dark).

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index.cfm/page/Munich-Dark/pid/28509

The googles didn't yield any results, so I started poking around looking for recipes with the same style, and then I will tweak from there.

The problem I am running into is there seems to be some confusion or misnomer as to the style beer this actually is. Harpoon lists it as a Munich Dunkel, but the taste profile as well as the IBUs sound like it more closely fits a porter - going by BJCP style guidelines.

Seeing as one style will likely take ale yeast, and the other will need to be lagered, it will affect how I go about this.

I am (very) new to brewing, so only doing extract, or extract + specialty grains right now but looking for some guidelines on how to proceed, or a recipe that is somewhat close to this beer.

Have you checked out any clone brew books? Most if not all have both extract and all grain recipes

The BJCP style guidelines list Harpoon Dark as a commercial example of a Munich Dunkel. Sorry, I don't have a clone recipe. I can guarantee you'll need Munich malt though.

Not sure if you are still working on this clone given the age of the post, but I got a reply from harpoon today (11/17/2013) with the following basics

To make Harpoon Dark we use a blend of pale malt, Munich 10, Caramel 60, Caramel 80, Carapils (or dextrine), and Chocolate malt. We bitter it with Apollo and use Willamette for flavor and aroma.

I have not made up my own recipe before, but could use some help from folks building this brew. Thanks!

Back