Is it just green?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csells10

Reaction score
So I tasted my summer ale yesterday after being in the bottle for a week, it was carbed pretty good, but when I tasted it after fermentation I think it tasted better. It was in primary for 7 before I bottled it and has been in the bottle for 7 days to carb up. Is this just green beer and needs time to develop?

Depending on your recipe, it is likely still maturing.

If you have a high % of wheat malt and a lower ABV (like under 5% or so), it is likely ready to drink, but won't peak for another 3-4 weeks.

If the beer is based mostly on two-row with a lower to average ABV (like under 6%), it will realistically peak closer to the 2-3 month after brewday range.

The higher the ABV, the further out those peaks go.

So, if it tastes good now, it is only going to get better with a little age!

Way green! 14 days would be a minimal time just for primary. 3-4 weeks is pretty common around here. Then you need to figure an additional 3 weeks for carbing and conditioning. You are already drinking yours when most of us would still have it in primary. Time will improve it significantly.

Give it three weeks in bottles, minimum. U'll notice a very big difference when u hit the 3-4 week mark.

Finished my first brew 4 weeks ago. Been cracking one open every few days, partly out of curiosity, partly because I wanted to experience how it evolved. After 3 weeks I was getting worried, even though they've been getting better. The bottle at week 4 was like "wow!". The difference from week 3 to week 4 was astounding. The difference between 2-4 is almost unbelievable. Definitely learned this lesson.

Back