Anybody use a HopShot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Wondering if this can be a substitute for dry hopping? What if I gave my beer a shot and swirled it gently in the keg before carbonation? I am looking to maximize the hop flavor and aroma in my next beer.

If you wanted to do that I would get a varietal one. If you search around enough you should be able to find those kind. I know HopUnion makes varietal hop oil extracts. They are different than the hopshot resin extract and should be added in the ferementor.

If you wanted to do that I would get a varietal one. If you search around enough you should be able to find those kind. I know HopUnion makes varietal hop oil extracts. They are different than the hopshot resin extract and should be added in the ferementor.

Given the concentration I'd imagine it wouldn't take much.

I don't think you want to use hop extract as a post fermentation addition. It's so you can get high levels of bittering without the vegetal flavor from massive early hop additions. Not sure why the description you linked would suggest using for late additions, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that.

I don't think you want to use hop extract as a post fermentation addition. It's so you can get high levels of bittering without the vegetal flavor from massive early hop additions. Not sure why the description you linked would suggest using for late additions, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing that.

You can use it for late additions if you got a varietal extract. I suppose you could just use the regular Hopshot for late addition also as it is most likely CTZ, which is a normal IPA hop anyway. Hop Union also makes varietal extracts for using post fermentation.

Wondering if this can be a substitute for dry hopping? What if I gave my beer a shot and swirled it gently in the keg before carbonation? I am looking to maximize the hop flavor and aroma in my next beer.

I would caution that the extract may not dissolve completely and could become a sticky blob on the bottom of your keg or fermenter. I just used hop extract for the first time in the boil kettle for bittering only, but the stuff is viscous and super super sticky. I added very slowly to the boil to keep a large blob from making its way to the side before dissolving. I would stick to dry hopping with pellet/leaf/whole hops.

I'm seeing more on hopshots/CO2 Hop Extract and wondered more about it myself. I don't think I'd consider "dry" hopping with them as I thought they were purely for bittering.

That said, one interesting thing is that there doesn't appear to be any information regarding what hops are used for the extract. While small, even bittering additions of pellet/leaf hops have different characteristics despite the fact you are boiling off all your oils. You can tell minor differences between using a warrior bittering addition verses centennial. How do you quantify this when utilizing hop extract?

Most extract comes in cans and many people transfer this to syringes to help with measuring. How do you then store these? Do you freeze? Vacuum and freeze? Refrigerate? How long does this keep? Is it sensitive to light?

You can tell minor differences between using a warrior bittering addition verses centennial. How do you quantify this when utilizing hop extract?

Most extract comes in cans and many people transfer this to syringes to help with measuring. How do you then store these? Do you freeze? Vacuum and freeze? Refrigerate? How long does this keep? Is it sensitive to light?

From Yakima Chief:
STORAGE:
YC-CO2 Hop Extract may be stored at room temperature or refrigerated and will remain stable for several years.

When stored under the following conditions, the “Best Use Before Date” will be:
- 5 Years between -3 and 5°C in closed Drums or Tins or
- 3 Years between 5 and 25°C in closed Drums or Tins.

I have a bunch of oral syringes filled and capped and placed in vacuum sealed bags in my refrigerator. Should be good to go for several years.

As for the bittering, you just have to use it and see. I have heard it may be Columbus or another relatively abundant high AA hop. If you prefer a certain bittering hop, I would just stick with good ol' pellet/leaf hops, or find an extract made from that hop (probably difficult to do).

Yeah, I'm guessing they are made from the cheapest, highest alpha hops available to the manufacturer at that time. So stuff like Columbus, Magnum, Galena, etc. No one is making Mosaic hop shots...

Lol I don't even remember starting this thread. I used hop shot in an ipa I made a couple months ago for bittering. It worked out great and totally recommend it.

Back