Growlerwerks uKeg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one. I too was given one as a gift last year for Christmas. I absolutely love it. I use it frequently to fill up at my favorite local breweries or with my homebrew. It's definitely a conversation starter for sure. Anytime I bring it out in public I routinely get stopped by people to compliment it or ask questions about it

My wife bought me one for my birthday last week and I haven't used it yet. They make a cap for it so you can hook up standard CO2 instead of burning through the CO2 cartridges, but they won't have it available again for several months. I wanted a small keg for force carbing and this with the cap will allow me to do that. You can do it with using single use CO2 cartridges but it becomes expensive as you may end up using 3 carts per fill.

I was a Ukeg Kickstarter pledgee. It took almost two years to get my copper 64 oz Ukeg but I now use it all the time. I take it to every monthly homebrew club meeting and sometimes will get it filled at a growler shop. One of the first times I used it was at the Black Abbey brewery in Nashville and I think every other visitor in the place asked me about it.

I like it so much I got another one though I'm probably going to give that one to my daughter who was really jealous of my original one.

My wife bought me one for my birthday last week and I haven't used it yet. They make a cap for it so you can hook up standard CO2 instead of burning through the CO2 cartridges, but they won't have it available again for several months. I wanted a small keg for force carbing and this with the cap will allow me to do that. You can do it with using single use CO2 cartridges but it becomes expensive as you may end up using 3 carts per fill.
That's what I was hoping to get feedback on. So it can be used like a keg? I will have to look into the cap.

That's what I was hoping to get feedback on. So it can be used like a keg? I will have to look into the cap.

Yeah you can force carb as-is; however, it requires (I think) 2-3-4 of those small single use Co2 canisters. Plus you need one to clean it after every use so now you're at 3-5...adds up!

Here is the link to the cap - https://www.growlerwerks.com/collections/parts-and-maintenance/products/ukeg-ball-lock-cap

Their message - Thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately, it will be at least 2 months until the ball lock cap is available again.

I'm glad to see that other people like their uKegs. I received one as a gift (original kickstarter version), and found it to be too much of a hassle. I never used it to carbonate, only for taking home brew somewhere else. I found that the whole idea of having to use the cartridges to dispense was a pain. The idea of being able to keep it carbonated for longer was nice in principle, but in practice I never have a growler last very long anyhow. It usually gets consumed within a couple hours of opening.

Do these ball lock caps serve any function other than carbing in the uKeg?

Just curious because I got a uKeg today, and I don't intend to carbonate beer in it, but it seems like the sort of thing I'd find some use for, like purging the growler?

Back