Growler tap set-up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
I'm thinking about building a growler tap set up. Similar to the faucet / CO2 cartridge attached to an insulated growler lid like DraftTank, UKeg and ManCan offers commercially. Anyone ever tried it? I may have to just price components and see how much more it'll cost as a DIY project vs buying a commercially available set up.

You can do it pretty cheaply if you already own a kegging system and use PET bottles (soda bottles) instead of a glass growler.
You need one of these per bottle:
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ca...in-20&linkId=2b8dc99f943cb0bf268ffba835303970
And one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Faucet-Chrome-Cornelius-Disconnect-Attached/dp/B003ZZRR3K

Run a hose from the barb to the bottom of the bottle.
Purge bottle with co2
Fill 2L plastic bottle with beer from keg through cap; vent cap slowly till full.
Pressurize through cap with your CO2 kegging system.
Install black ball lock with faucet.
Idea is to dial in the initial pressure so it is high enough to finish the bottle; you will need to experiment with this.
If you get it too high you will make a bunch of foam, not enough you will need a portable co2 charger.

Completely unneeded in my opinion... I fill growlers all the time just like my local breweries do, except with one more step.
I use a home-made beer wand, which makes injecting some C02 into the bottle a little easier.
Using cold beer and a cold, clean, Starsan rinsed growler, purge the air from the growler with some C02, then fill completely to the top with beer and cap onto the little bit of foam.
The beer will last a long time if kept in the fridge this way with no oxygenation.

Completely unneeded in my opinion... I fill growlers all the time just like my local breweries do, except with one more step.
I use a home-made beer wand, which makes injecting some C02 into the bottle a little easier.
Using cold beer and a cold, clean, Starsan rinsed growler, purge the air from the growler with some C02, then fill completely to the top with beer and cap onto the little bit of foam.
The beer will last a long time if kept in the fridge this way with no oxygenation.

Yep, I've done this for years with my Blichmann beer gun. The tapped growler is more about the 'wow' factor and needlessly complicating a simple process.

Back