How Much Coriander & Zest To Use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I looked through a bunch of recipes here, but didn't find what I was looking for, which is odd...

I'm wanting to make a 2.5 gal wheat beer, and I'd like to add zested orange and coriander. I can't find how much of either I should use. I want it to be more present than a Blue Moon.

The coriander we have is powdered.

I'll be using WLP 320 yeast.

Was it a Blue Moon clone?

I'm looking for more flavor that it has.

I used .75 oz each fresh ground coriander and dried bitter orange peel in a 5 gal batch, added at 5 min. Still fermenting that one though.

Used 0.2 oz each coriander and fresh orange zest in an earlier 1.25 gal batch of wheat beer, added at 10 min. The orange flavors were present, maybe a little more than blue moon.

How fresh is the coriander powder? If it's fresh, 1/2 oz might be too much IMO.

Just take the zest, not the whole peel. Leave the pith behind. A microplane is probably your best tool for the job. Fresh zest works, but it will have be a different flavor than dried bitter orange peel (got ours at the LHBS).

Used BM's recipe for inspiration for our current batch of Wit:
Blue Balls Belgian Wit

Sounds good to me.

I don't have any research/experience to back this up, but I would think you'd want more of the fresh zest by weight than if you were using the dried bitter peel (water weight, etc). EDIT: Not saying you should do more than 1/2 oz of zest, just agreeing with more zest than coriander if using fresh zest.

You could probably do a tea, infusion, or dry-zest post-fermentation if you feel like you didn't get enough flavor from the boil additions.

This is a doctored Mr Beer Whispering Wheat Weizenbier. I'm tossing the booster and using wheat DME and WLP 320, plus a little bit of Liberty or Willamette at 10-20 mins, but wanted to test out using zested peels as I want to make a Sam Adams Summer Ale clone... I won't go through any more trouble than this. I certainly don't expect a great beer, but I'm hoping for a good enough one.

Thanks!

I had the exact same question so I saved the thread below for my upcoming experiment with orange zest.

In short, seems like these guys are using 1 to 2oz zest and ~0.5oz crushed coriander seeds (for 5 gals, so you should halve them). Some are adding near flame out and some in a secondary. I particularly like the idea (from another thread) of soaking the zest in grand marnier or cointreau first.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/how-use-orange-peel-59351/

you should be good.
for my 5 gal batches i use 0.5 oz corriander, 0.5 bitter orange peel, and 1 oz sweet orange peel.

Maybe I'll use 3/4 oz of zest then. I do want it to be more noticeable without being overbearing.

I will be using sweet oranges.

I was planning on putting it in with my hop addition, which will be at 15 mins. Is that a problem? Reading just a bit I saw someone mention 5-0 mins was ideal.

Our coriander is powdered. Is that not good?

I did a citrus wheat a while back. Five gallons.

For sure use a zester on fresh fruit. I used a lemon, a lime and a blood orange. Or was it two? Lots of help, huh? Anyway, when you're zesting, you'll see when you've got all the colored peel off and are down to the white part. Stop then.

i add my spices at 15 minutes, but i like mine a little more spicy than the real thing. anywhere from 5-15 minutes is good, its just a matter of preference.

i've never used powered coriander, i crush mine. i would think that you would get more flavor out of powered than crushed, so you might want to use less. since i've never used the powered, some other opinions would be helpful.

From what I've read, it seems the closer to flame out the more flavor. Some even wait to add it together with dry hops in the secondary! Powdered Coriander should be fine as the common practise is to crush the seeds.

Please tell us how it turns out as I'll be trying a similar experiment soon!

Good point. Maybe 1/8 oz would be better. I do want it to be noticed though...

Okay so some books say 4 to 28 grams coriander. Different brews. It really comes out when it's 28 grams. I think I used 5 or 7 grams in the wheat.

In a 5 gallon batch I've used 2 table spoons of corriander in a few brews with good results. I've used lemon, lime and orange in the last few wheat beers, the orange I used the zest of 4 large navel oranges which weighted out to 4oz, I steeped them for 10 mins and then left them in for the whole primary. With the lemon and lime I quartered and gutted them and steeped the peal with the pith for 10 mins at flameout, for me that way has given me the best flavor and aroma.

Back