Growing Hops against a West facing wall...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth_Malt

Reaction score
My fiancé and I just moved into our first home a few months ago, and i would like to start prepping a plot to plant some hops in next spring. We are in a mobile home, so there isn't a whole lot of yard space to build a trellis like i would prefer.
My idea was to grow them up along the west wall of the house to use them to block some of the early morning sunlight (second shift people that we are). But i recently read it's best to use a south facing wall to get maximum sunlight. Our south wall is always in the shade from the tree line dividing up the lots, so that isn't really an option.
I'm wondering if growing on the west wall is going to be a viable option. I could possibly grow on the north wall, but that would mean moving the shrubs that are helping keep the street noise down in the baby's room.
Any input would be appreciated. I'm really looking forward to starting my hop garden, but want to make sure I'm going to be getting the most out of my plants.

Back