Greetings from Milwaukee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harris Tweed

Reaction score
So, I'm just getting back into brewing after a couple years off. I'd been playing around with small-batch all-grain and I've decided to get back into brewing (what is it about January and hobbies?) and step up into the five gallon world, with hopes of continuing to keep expanding. In the meantime I will have this tab open as I begin my beer journey.

Welcome! i brew 10 gallon batches. i'd get bored with a brew if brewed more then that in a sitting. but really, all i'd need to do 20 gallon, would be a bigger cooler, and pot. and a pump, because 90 pounds is about the most i can lift..... :mug:

Good, we need good beer from traditional places. Schlitz used to be really big. When I was in college ('61-'65) at Mizzou in Columbia, Missouri, just 120 miles from AB headquarters, all the 3.2 beer joints in town were Schlitz, though the 5% bars seemed to be Budweiser. (There were "blue laws" then that closed 5% bars on Sundays.) Some time after that Schlitz apparently decided to cut costs by using cheaper ingredients. The rest of the story wasn't pretty. (And that includes, eventually, what happened to AB.) Make Milwaukee great again!

Last edited:
Good, we need good beer from traditional places. Schlitz used to be really big. When I was in college ('61-'65) at Mizzou in Columbia, Missouri, just 120 miles from AB headquarters, all the 3.2 beer joints in town were Schlitz, though the 5% bars seemed to be Budweiser. (There were "blue laws" then that closed 5% bars on Sundays.) Some time after that Schlitz apparently decided to cut costs by using cheaper ingredients. The rest of the story wasn't pretty. (And that includes, eventually, what happened to AB.) Make Milwaukee great again!

Yeah, Schlitz had a good thing going and then the 80s happened. Cost cutting sunk the #1 beer in America. We're blessed here to have a thriving craft/microbrew community (I think there's about 700 breweries by now) and some of the Old Guard in the craft space, Sprecher and Lakefront. It's definitely still a beer town and Chicago and Madison are killing it right now as well.

Back