Greetings from Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJBod129

Reaction score
Hi everybody. Totally new to home brewing, but I like beer, and since I'm trying to save for a wedding, home brewing makes more sense than shelling out as much as I do for beer. :)

Hope to listen, learn, and hopefully share my $0.02 where I can.

:mug:

I guess that all depends on how much you're willing to shell out for equipment, but regardless, welcome!

Make wine, mead, and hard cider instead -- it's cheaper.

And let us know where you live if you need directions to the nearest homebrew shop.

:mug:

I live in Farmington Hills, and my parents are within ten minutes of Adventures in Homebrewing in Dearborn (where they go to get the wine mixes they make for yearly X-mas presents)... so i think that will be my store of choice.

I know wine making is cheaper, but there's nothing like a cold beer while watching Sportscenter, unwinding after work.

I live in Farmington Hills, and my parents are within ten minutes of Adventures in Homebrewing in Dearborn (where they go to get the wine mixes they make for yearly X-mas presents)... so i think that will be my store of choice.

I know wine making is cheaper, but there's nothing like a cold beer while watching Sportscenter, unwinding after work.

:mug: I live in Farmington Hills too! But I work in Warren so I can get to a Cap n' Cork without going too far out of my way.

Nice to meet you all.

No I haven't joined the Michigan club yet, waiting for my first (hopefully successful) batch before getting too obsessed with this... Oh who am I kidding, I already started getting ingredients for a Raspberry Wheat for SWMBO... even though I probably won't make it for a while (not until I have enough bottles, at the very least).

Hooper-
There was someone on Craigslist selling beer making equipment from F. Hills... Was that you, by chance?

Welcome DJ! I'm in Northville. I go over to Liquor R Us on Orchard Lake and Grand River for my R&D excursions. Great selection of beers! Too bad we don't have an LHBS closer to us, used to be one on 8 mile and Farmington, but alas...:mug:

Hey welcome to the site! Stick around and you'll get hooked on the most rewarding hobby there is :)

One thing though, don't think homebrewing will save you a lot of money... I've already spent a ton of cash trying to improve my brewing abilities, and there's ALWAYS another upgrade down the line. Welcome to the obsession.

Welcome DJ! I'm in Northville. I go over to Liquor R Us on Orchard Lake and Grand River for my R&D excursions. Great selection of beers! Too bad we don't have an LHBS closer to us, used to be one on 8 mile and Farmington, but alas...:mug:

I've never been there, even though its close to where I live. I might have to check it out some time. I usually go to Discount Drinks on 12 Mile and Halstead to buy anything out of the B/M/C realm. And I think there is a LHBS in Livonia, on Plymouth - The Wine Barrel @ 30303 Plymouth Rd, 48150 as taken from their website (www.winebarrel.com). Haven't been there personally, but by the looks of their site, it seems more focused on wine so YMMV if they have anything that you might be looking for..

Tank-
I am slowly coming to that realization....

I think Wine Barrel bought out all of Brew And Grow's stock and decided to stay strong with beer brewing as well.

I am in farmington hills as well I prefer the selection at wine castle (small hb selection of supplies hops yeast)at 7mile and farmington road better than liquor r us.

I am in farmington hills as well I prefer the selection at wine castle (small hb selection of supplies hops yeast)at 7mile and farmington road better than liquor r us.

After going to Liquor R Us (today), it's got a good selection, but its a little more overpriced than i expected.

I haven't been to wine castle, but I'll have to go there next.

Welcome to HBT. You'll like it here.

I went to the LHBS in Livonia - it was OK, nothing special. I go to Things Beer in Webberville since I go to Lansing fairly often.

Wine Barrel Plus is so so - it is just a mile or so for my house, so I'll run there for last minute things, but you are really better off to go to Adventures in Homebrewing. Adventures in Homebrewing has just about everything you need. Wine Barrel Plus is also a liquor store, so there whole focus isn't on homebrewing.

Welcome to HBT. You'll like it here.

I went to the LHBS in Livonia - it was OK, nothing special. I go to Things Beer in Webberville since I go to Lansing fairly often.

I go up to Lansing quite often as well... Where is Things Beer? Sounds like it might be worth my while to stop on my next trip west...

I go up to Lansing quite often as well... Where is Things Beer? Sounds like it might be worth my while to stop on my next trip west...

Heck, just drive a little bit further and go to The Red Salamander in Grand Ledge, been there once or twice, very helpful. I would go there more since I go to MSU, but I usually just get my stuff from Adventures is Homebrewing (which I highly recommend btw)

Heck, just drive a little bit further and go to The Red Salamander in Grand Ledge, been there once or twice, very helpful. I would go there more since I go to MSU, but I usually just get my stuff from Adventures is Homebrewing (which I highly recommend btw)

looking that place up, it is 6 miles away from where I go in Lansing. :) will definitely make time next time I'm over there.

Things beer is in Webberville (east of Okemos). Not far off of the highway, in an industrial park behind the McDonalds. Great prices on supplies, and really good beer on tap.

Welcome from Traverse City. As for a HBS I buy most all of my stuff from Adventures in HB in Dearborn. Those people are rock solid and have everything that you need.

As for saving money, that is why I got into it 5 or so years ago. After spending all this Jack on equipment I could have taken the wife a couple times to Europe. She however supports me in my hobby, gotta love wifey!:tank:

Welcome. I also work in the Farmington Hills area but do my brewing in Howell. I have to agree that the wine castle is a great place to pick the drinking supplies up while brewing.

Things beer is in Webberville (east of Okemos). Not far off of the highway, in an industrial park behind the McDonalds. Great prices on supplies, and really good beer on tap.

One comment on Things beer. They do not do a very good job keeping up on supplies. I live very close and I use to go there a lot but found myself always leaving empty handed.

But their Celis white is out of this world.

One comment on Things beer. They do not do a very good job keeping up on supplies. I live very close and I use to go there a lot but found myself always leaving empty handed.

But their Celis white is out of this world.

I've noticed that too on occasion, so I call ahead to check if they have what I need.

Welcome! My husband and I live in Mt Clemens...we'll be brewing our first batch this weekend (Breakfast Stout). There's a lot of great info on this list. Good luck!!!

Welcome! My husband and I live in Mt Clemens...we'll be brewing our first batch this weekend (Breakfast Stout). There's a lot of great info on this list. Good luck!!!

Good luck with your first batch!

I just made my 4th batch, and my first is just ready to drink. Woot! :fro:

Latest posts

Back