Greetings from Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crafty_Brewer

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm Jesse, and I am pretty new to brewing, although I have been enjoying craft beer for a couple of years. I'm from Michigan, so I'm familiar with some good beer (not that there's not good beer elsewhere).... Founders, New Holland, Shorts, Bell's, At Water, Arcadia Isles, just to name a few. I had my first taste of homebrew about that time too....really good stuff. I was introduced to HBT by the same person who shared his homebrew with me. I'll let him reply to this post before I name names. He also got me started in homebrewing.... we did a couple of brews at his place on his equipment. That's when I decided to start making my own beer. Which brings me to my proposed setup (I don't own any equipment yet).

Micro-BIAB looks cool to me.... I plan to do 1-3 gallon batches stovetop BIAB. (Yes, I am currently an apartment dweller)

I decided to go all grain from the start; having participated in a couple of brews certainly helped.

I am going with the small batches for a couple of reasons.... I am limited by my old janky stove, and the electric in my place is questionable.... so no e-brewing for me. I don't plan to brew outside either....it's like 1 F outside with 30mph winds with gusts up to 60. I'm staying inside where it's warm lol. I also don't want to end up with 50 bottles of the same thing (good or bad)....I like variety.

I'll probably brew in a 5 gallon polarware SS economy kettle, and ferment in 3 gallon better bottles. I've considered the 7.5 gallon polarware, but idk what my stove will handle. I am open to fermenter suggestions for small batches. I'll likely start with a swamp cooler and eventually get a chest freezer with temp control.

First brew...hmm...thinking about a brown ale, then an ESB, than an irish red, then an IPA, then an oatmeal stout....we'll see what happens. :mug:

Welcome to the forum Jesse!

Hey Brewerforlife, I know that Jesse used to live up in the UP ... Marquette area I believe.

Yes indeed it was I who has been getting him into the hobby... must pass on what I have learned.

Welcome! You're in good company.

I appreciate your desire to stick with small batches and make it easy on yourself and enjoy the variety.

Back