grain brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to home brewing. I made a few kit beers that came out relatively well. Now i would like to experiment with grains. Does anyone have any really good recipes for a grain ipa with IBU around 40 or so with ABV around 7% or 8% . Or english beers. Any help you guys give me is as always greatly appreciated . thx donny

Hello all, I am new to home brewing. I made a few kit beers that came out relatively well. Now i would like to experiment with grains. Does anyone have any really good recipes for a grain ipa with IBU around 40 or so with ABV around 7% or 8% . Or english beers. Any help you guys give me is as always greatly appreciated . thx donny
Have you visited the recipe thread? You’ll find what you’re looking for there.

Here’s a quick one I have that comes out good. Between WC and NE. Just a tasty ipa that Is juicy but with a touch of resin bitterness on the finish

13lbs 2 row
1 lb Cara pils
.5 lb biscuit malt
.5lb Cara Munich

Yeast: Us-05 ferment at 68

Mash 150 with 4.5 gallons of RO water
Sparge with 4.0 gallons at 168

Hops
Magnum 1 oz
Simcoe 4 oz
mosiac 3 oz

Hop schedule
1 oz magnum 60

1oz simcoe
1oz Mosiac both at F.O.

1 oz simcoe
1 oz Mosiac both whirlpool 160 for 30 mins

Dry hop 3 days before bottle
2 oz simcoe
1oz Mosiac

Batch prime with 3.5 ounces of corn sugar and let sit warm at 70 for 10-14 days and then drink

keep it simple, something like this (5 gal recipe):

11lbs 2-row
2lbs Munich Light
1lbs Carapils

1/2 oz Simcoe @ 60
1/2 oz Simcoe @ 15
1 oz Citra @ 5 (or at flameout)...bump this up if you want more aroma/citrus

Use US-05 or US-04

EDIT: you can definitely bump up the hops a bit, or add that 2nd batch of Simcoe earlier if you want more bitterness but this gets you to 40 IBUs like you wanted

Last edited:
Here's the thing. IMO IPAs, BIPAs, DIPAs, and IMP IPAs need to have a equal-ish balance of hops to alcohol. Unless you're brewing a sweeter beer, you want the IBUs to be high enough to balance out the alcohol. I've only been brewing since September so I don't know even 1% of what some of these seasoned brewers do, but I've had great success with my IPAs because I balance out the ABV and IBUs. Any time I brew an IPA, DIPA, IMP IPA, or BIPA, I use a 1:1 ish ratio. If I'm aiming for my beer to be 7-8% ABV, I go with 70 to 80 IBUs. My first Imperial IPA was 12.7% ABV, and the IBUs were in the 120s. I took that beer to a Homebrewers Assoc. meeting and now they want me to brew it for the VIP room at our annual Beer Fest this September. The first time I made a BIPA with the 1:1 ratio, it was a mistake due to my accidentally adding too many hops to the boil, which turned out to be a major game changer for me. The BIPA ended up being around 6.5% and the IBUs just so happened to be around 68, which was perfect. Luckily I take extensive notes so I was able to see where I added too many hops and was happy I did. Just my 2 cents.

^ This.

For the first couple of all-grain brews, keep it simple, get the process down. That recipe @snarf7 posted looks good, I'd brew that.
Definitely this. You can always start with a Single Malt a d Single Hop (SMaSH) which will help you learn the characteristics of the different base malts and hops.

Maris Otter (malt) with Amarillo, Centennial, or Cascade, were some of the first and best all grain beers I made.

To the OP. If i were you i would search the recipe forum as Dgallo suggested or on line for other options. Many on line shops post their recipes for you to see the ingredients. I would also recommend a simple recipe with perhaps 3 or 4 kettle hop additions and possibly 1 dry hop addition. That being said you really need to consider what you have for equipment and if it has the ability to do an IPA recipe you choose.

I'm sure Dgallo's recipe is great and I may give it a whirl but its not really for first timers who may not even know what a whirlpool in the kettle is, let alone the ability to perform one properly

Hey Donny. Welcome to All Grain. You might try an APA or English Bitter. For an APA choose Amer hops & yeast and for a Bitter choose English hops & yeast.

Basic Examples; If you want more ABV add base and/other fermentable sugar(s) which the English often do. Adjust these to your system’s BH efficiency:
75DCC43A-6C02-4F4D-8560-E14BD9EF2B02.jpeg

B98321F5-B57A-475B-A1D0-A51814B4CE0E.jpeg

I'd suggest an APA for a first AG brew rather than IPA (my opinion only), the reason being higher gravity beers are more challenging (bigger mash, harder to hit Gravity) and an APA is more forgiving in terms of gravity - if efficiency is lower or higher than expected, the resulting beer will probably still be great. http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24947 is a recipe that I had great success with as an early brewer, and still brew often (it's bordering on IPA anyway!). All the hop additions are in the last 20 minutes, which can make that time period a bit chaotic, so it helps to have them all weighed out and labelled at the start of the boil. The only other thing would be to avoid recipes with lots of wheat, oats, rye or corn early on (unless you're BIABing) as they tend to stick the mash if you're not used to your system.

For English Ales, have a read through this thread if you have a spare week or two.....
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/english-ales-whats-your-favorite-recipe.472464/
Lots of great recipes for bitters, milds, porters etc.

If you don't have a concept of what is involved in all grain, I would suggest buying a kit. That takes all of the recipe out of the equation. About 7 years ago I use Northern Brewer Kits. One or two, before taking recipes and buying my own ingredients. They turned out very good.

if I want to do the falconers flight how do i know when to add the different grains. when to add brewers malt and then when to add crystal medium. Thanks again everyone for all your input

You would mash the grains first then filter the grains out. Then boil the liquid. At start of boil add the first hops. With 30min left add the second addition. With 10 minutes left add the last edition.

OP: I suggest you step back a bit and rethink this. One thing you might do is get a copy of Palmer's "How to Brew" and use that as a guide.

The questions you're asking suggest a fundamental misunderstanding of how to do all-grain. That's ok, everybody starts at the beginning. But you probably need to do some more reading and other work on this.

What we all want is for you to be successful in doing this. But throwing yourself into it without that basic understanding makes it more likely there will be mistakes, and less-than-enticing beer as a result.

Latest posts

Back