Google Chrome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, what do you guys think? I'm testing it out right now and it seems pretty fast but nothing really special. Of course, I've only been at it for an hour or so , so I'll give it a really good test before I pass permanent judgment.

Maybe we can use this thread to post features for one another to explore. Are there add ons like the Stumble upon toolbar?

http://www.google.com/chrome

It took me too long (a couple of minutes) to find the favorites. That was a little weird. Other than that its pretty slick. I think I'll stick to Firefox for now though. I'm too used to the shortcut keys.

Answered my own question.

"Currently, Google Chrome doesn't support any extensions."

I don't know if I could live with that. I couldn't even install the Google toolbar. :drunk:

I have been using it for the last hour and so far, I like it. I really like the "most visited" option when you open a new tab ~ pretty helpful. I also like the lack of toolbars. Its nice to see so much of the web pages at one time.

Google is slowly becoming an Internet monopoly corporation it seems.

I used it briefly this afternoon. Looks pretty good, but I haven't used it extensively. From what I read on other forums, it's lacking in features.

Google's lack of Linux support across nearly all of its applications is irritating. SketchUp would be awesome. I'd like to try Chrome. No workie with Linux.

So it's a browser. With only windows support and no extensions. Not impressed, really don't feel like trying it.

Google Chrome for Windows - Terms and Conditions Agreement

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

Talk about taking liberties with other peoples content... People talk about Google turning into MS, and EULA contents like this make me want to agree.

I tried it, but ultimately.... meh. It's a browser. As long as it doesn't crash and can keep track of my favorites, it's hard for me to declare one a "favorite" over another. Am I missing some neat features that other browsers don't have? Really, ever since everyone moved to multi-tabbed browsing, a browser's a browser; it's just a tool.

So it's a browser. With only windows support and no extensions. Not impressed, really don't feel like trying it.

While this is true right now it is open source so I'm sure people will start developing extensions for it and it is slated to be released for Mac and Linux soon.

From what I have read so far Chrome is designed to be a minimal interface (unlike Firefox with all its toolbars and what-not) that will attempt to blur the line between the web and the desktop. One of the features that most intrigues me is the ability to create desktop shortcuts for web applications (like gMail) since this is the direction Google is trying to move in.

Pinky: Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?
Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to take over the world.

pinky_and_the_brain.jpg

I tried it, but ultimately.... meh. It's a browser.

That's kinda what I said in chat last night. It's noting special, in fact, it's like an underpowered knockoff of Opera with some IE laced in. I dearly love google (especially with Safe Search OFF :D ) but this was over hyped and under delivered. I will use it for a week before I really complain about it, but I'm not doing cartwheels yet.

Draconian EULA aside, If they made a Linux version I would give it a try on my laptop. Firefox works well, is safe and has tons of community support. So I am going to stick with that until there is a good reason to switch.

I'm leary of Google applications. The search engine rocks, but the toolbar tracks your viewing habits, Google Checkout tracks your buying, Google desktop search tracks your applications, and now Google browser.

To me, it seems like google is becoming Big Brother by gathering, storing, and indexing so much personal information. I'll pass on it, just like I refuse to use Google checkout or their toolbar.

Looks interesting. I only made it through 26 pages of cartoons before my ADD brain made me go play Fantastic Contraption though. :D Not sure I could stand to change from Firefox, but I'll keep watching.

Terje

Google's lack of Linux support across nearly all of its applications is irritating. SketchUp would be awesome. I'd like to try Chrome. No workie with Linux.

not only does it and most of their stuff not work on linux, they have these ridiculous EULA. To the point that I think my linux box would refuse to run it on principle. :)

And from a company that uses linux exclusively for their servers....

I like it, though I agree it is "just a browser." I like that each tab operates as its own application, so if one tab crashes, the rest of the tabs don't. And you can drag and drop tabs in and out of the main window...so if you're like me and you hate when new windows pop up instead of tabs, you can just drag the new window up to the tab area and it integrates it with the rest of your open tabs.

And I like that it's clean-looking without all the additional crap. The whole screen is dedicated to the website I'm on, not 100 different toolbars.

I'm leary of Google applications. The search engine rocks, but the toolbar tracks your viewing habits, Google Checkout tracks your buying, Google desktop search tracks your applications, and now Google browser.

Google Chrome has a private browsing feature (like IE8) that doesn't keep track of your browsing. You know, so you can do "private" things!

"Currently, Google Chrome doesn't support any extensions."
I don't know if I could live with that. I couldn't even install the Google toolbar.

I do wish it supported extensions, but I don't think you need the Google toolbar. The address field is a search tool as well. Just type in your search query.

I just dloaded it this morning and it doesn't work with some of my intranet pages that I've coded. (that work fine in IE and Firefox). It appears that it doesn't support the ASP.Net Menu control along with their ASP.Net Ajax extentions (basically some javascript that displays/hides <DIV> tags). I'll try it when I get home and form a better opinion. Normally I'm +1 anything Google, but right now I'm holding firm with a -1. We'll see...

<edit>
Oh, and I can't sign in to Google so I can use my iGoogle.. the page never fully renders... wtf?!
</edit>

I have been using it since last night and really like it. Love the lack of toolbar crap. There is one issue that I've had that is a minor annoyance: on my notebook, when scrolling down on the touchpad, it won't scroll up. They are working on a fix for it and after all, it is a BETA...

SWMBO needs to quit clicking the "Ok" button.

Using Linux really helps with the adware/spyware issue, but it's a tough sell to get SWMBO on board with a new OS.

SWMBO needs to quit clicking the "Ok" button.

Using Linux really helps with the adware/spyware issue, but it's a tough sell to get SWMBO on board with a new OS.

Heard That!

Man EE Times ripped Chrome up pretty good. Personally the more I use it the more I like it.

Back