Good source of ZINC for RO brewing water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HockeyBoy29

Reaction score
I’d be interested in your approach to the lack of zinc in reverse osmosis brewing water. Do you just ignore it? Get the right kind of yeast nutrient? Make or buy a tincture? We just installed an RO filter and haven’t brewed with it yet. Thanks in advance!

You don't want to add zinc up front. Almost all the zinc present in both water and malt is bound and retained in the spent grains of the mash, and in trub after the boil. Supplementation is vital to good yeast health and fermentation performance, but it should be dosed in the fermentor at pitching. As @RPh_Guy says, Wyeast nutrient is an option, as is Servomyces. I myself keep a stock solution of zinc sulfate for this purpose. Note that while it is important to have elemental zinc in the pitching wort at 0.1-0.3 parts per million, depending on the yeast strain, quantities of zinc which are still quite minuscule are toxic to yeast; more is not better in this case.

Thank you both for your replies. This was something I failed to consider when I opted for the RO filter, but glad to have options. We mostly do 6 gallon batches (a solid 5+ into the keg) and I’m as concerned about over doing zinc as I am under doing it. Is the zinc sulfate easy to administer accurately?

Is the zinc sulfate easy to administer accurately?

If you can accurately measure small amounts of things, like with milligram scale and a pipette (already have these for brewing salts and acids.)

I got reagent grade zinc sulfate heptahydrate on Amazon. What you then need to know is what percentage of that by weight is elemental zinc -- in the case of heptahydrate, it's 22.7%, you can calculate it for other hydrates by looking up mole weights on Google. I made up a 1% solution in distilled water. So I know everything I need to in order to calculate an exact desired dose. But for me that's still less than 2 mL into 6+ gallons (my batch size is same as yours,) so you do want some degree of precision. (6 gallons is a handy batch size, because in this case, each 1 mL of my solution provides just about 100 ppb, or 0.1 ppm, of elemental zinc!)

I like that I'm adding only what I want, without extra unknown ingredients.

@Robert65 for some reason I always struggle with this but for your zinc solution did you dissolve 1g in 1000ml of h20. Then you dose how much of that per 6g?

The amount for ZnCl is different correct as the amount of Zinc is different than in ZnSo4.

I’ve been cracking a Servomyces capsule in the FV for each brew and I’d love to get away from spending that $$ when all I really want is the Zinc.

@Robert65 for some reason I always struggle with this but for your zinc solution did you dissolve 1g in 1000ml of h20. Then you dose how much of that per 6g?

The amount for ZnCl is different correct as the amount of Zinc is different than in ZnSo4.

I’ve been cracking a Servomyces capsule in the FV for each brew and I’d love to get away from spending that $$ when all I really want is the Zinc.
My solution is 1%, so 1 g in 100 mL. As I mentioned, zinc sulfate heptahydrate is 22.7% zinc by weight. 6 gallons is 22.8 L. So say you want to add 150 ppb Zn. The calculation then is:

22.8 × 0.00015 ÷ 0.227 × 100 = 1.5066 mL. (Call it 1.5 mL.)

That's liters, times desired dosage rate, divided by concentration of elemental zinc in the salt, times 100 because it's a 1% solution. (In this example we're adding 0.015 g of the salt, and it's handier to measure a solution than that small a weight. But you could do it that way I suppose.)

You can make your solution any strength you like, and using any zinc salt you like (although some sources have indicated that zinc gluconate does not provide zinc that is available to the yeast,) and do a similar calculation. Or make yourself a handy little tool in Excel to do it for you.

The cost savings over anything else is substantial. I ended up getting 500g of reagent grade ZnS04*7H2O, which as you can see is far more than I could ever use in several lifetimes, for under $20 on Amazon.

Rob, I don’t doubt that some zinc can be bound or precipitated. But that flies in the face of thousands of years of brewing history where the water supply was the only zinc source. I’m okay with adding supplemental zinc in the kettle, but recognize that it’s not the only way.

There are several sources for zinc, but many have other ingredients. Be sure to source a pure salt that’s food-grade. And since the dosing is ridiculously small, do create a solution as Rob mentions to make it more usable.

According to Kunze, only about 20% of the zinc in malt goes into solution, and the zinc content then decreases further during the course of mashing. If a threshold of .1-.15mg/l is not reached fermentation difficulties may occur. Plus, zee Germans have overcome the lack of zinc by using spent grains in their sauergut, then allow it to settle, sterilize it, then add it in small doses to the yeast dosage.

I use Wyeast yeast nutrient. So some of you guys are saying the proper way to use it is adding into the fermenter at pitching, and not at the very end of the boil per their actual instructions on the container?

I use Wyeast yeast nutrient. So some of you guys are saying the proper way to use it is adding into the fermenter at pitching, and not at the very end of the boil per their actual instructions on the container?

Yes. This adds the desired amount of zinc directly to the fermenter. Also, it allows you to cut down on the additional sulfate and magnesium that the nutrient also yields.

But that flies in the face of thousands of years of brewing history where the water supply was the only zinc source.

Martin, I think history actually testifies to the idea of zinc supplementation being needed.

First, water was not always the only source, as copper and brass brewhouse equipment contributed some small amount. [But this is still a moot point, because (as @Paulaner notes) textbooks such as Kunze, Briggs, et al., and their numerous primary sources confirm that virtually none of the zinc present in malt and water, including that introduced exogenously upstream in process, survives into the pitching wort. D. G. Taylor, 2006, may be an outlier contradicting this, but I have not read the original source, only seen the table published in Palmer and Kaminski.] And historically, lager fermentations, for instance, have taken weeks or months to go to completion, and still underattenuated and failed to completely reduce diacetyl (as is still the case especially in smaller, unmodernized, German and Czech breweries,) as zinc is essential for protein synthesis and cell growth, as well as some other metabolic functions. Modern lager fermentations with adequate zinc supplementation will reach 85% AA in 7 days with full diacetyl reduction, and the health of subsequent generations of yeast is greatly improved.

The Germans have long supplemented zinc. Even where brewhouse construction was not from copper and brass, pieces of galvanized equipment have been introduced as sacrificial anodes, and, while propagated Sauergut fortified with spent grain is a relatively recent innovation, as is Servomyces, unlike the sacrificial anodes, these are seen as unqueationably compliant with German law. Use of zinc chloride or sulfate is generally not regarded as Reinheitsgebot compliant, but for those of us not bound by these constraints, is the obvious preferred solution.

Yes. This adds the desired amount of zinc directly to the fermenter. Also, it allows you to cut down on the additional sulfate and magnesium that the nutrient also yields.
I'm not completely following. How does adding it to the fermenter vs late in the boil eliminate some of the sulfate and Mg?

I'm assuming you still briefly boil the yeast nutrient in a small amount of water to avoid contamination?

I'm not completely following. How does adding it to the fermenter vs late in the boil eliminate some of the sulfate and Mg?

I'm assuming you still briefly boil the yeast nutrient in a small amount of water to avoid contamination?

I’m shooting from the hip here because I’m busy painting ,y new house today, but I believe if you follow the Wyeast guidelines for dosing, you actually dose more than the required amount of nutrient in the boil vs. in the fermenter. Also, the manufacturer dose actually yields zinc levels higher than the required amount.

So, Lower volume (fermenter Volume) coupled with a reduced dose, yields the right amount of zinc directly where it’s needed, while allowing you to reduce the amount of additional minerals contributed from the blend.

If I have some time as I unwind later, I’ll link the thread here on HBT where I outlined the mineral amounts and various dosages.

Also, I don’t prepare the nutrient beforehand. I just put it right in.

Back