Golden Promise Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troglodytes

Reaction score
I have a decent amount of leftover grain from a recently brewed pale ale, and wanted to use it in a saison. I'm think about doing the following as its what I have on hand, but I'm unsure what to expect.

6# Golden Promise
4# 2-Row
4 oz Honey Malt
4 oz Caramel Munich (80L)

Hops: 5-8IBUs of Manderina Bravaria

The star should be the yeast which will be Bootleg Biology's Mad Fermentationist saison blend. I'm going mash low and do very little hopping to hopefully lower the pH down to about 3.8 so even if the grain bill leaves some residual sweetness, it will still be dry, drinkable and slightly tart.

I'm going about this experiment only using online reviews for the yeast, which I'll be using for the first time. I also see very little on anyone using GP in a saison (which I understand as it goes against the traditional recipe). If anyone has used this yeast and /or GP in a saison let me know if this is a worthwhile recipe, or else I'll store the grain for later and just pick up some of my standard saison ingredients.

I have a decent amount of leftover grain from a recently brewed pale ale, and wanted to use it in a saison. I'm think about doing the following as its what I have on hand, but I'm unsure what to expect.

6# Golden Promise
4# 2-Row
4 oz Honey Malt
4 oz Caramel Munich (80L)

Hops: 5-8IBUs of Manderina Bravaria

The star should be the yeast which will be Bootleg Biology's Mad Fermentationist saison blend. I'm going mash low and do very little hopping to hopefully lower the pH down to about 3.8 so even if the grain bill leaves some residual sweetness, it will still be dry, drinkable and slightly tart.

I'm going about this experiment only using online reviews for the yeast, which I'll be using for the first time. I also see very little on anyone using GP in a saison (which I understand as it goes against the traditional recipe). If anyone has used this yeast and /or GP in a saison let me know if this is a worthwhile recipe, or else I'll store the grain for later and just pick up some of my standard saison ingredients.

Assuming 5g, the 8oz combined crystal malt seems too high to me. Pesonally, I'd drop both & sub 1/2lb of flaked oats. Let us know the outcome, always love a good saison

Saisons were originally brewed with whatever grains were available. You'll be fine with g p.

I'd say go for it. The yeast blend should dry it out pretty well so i don't think the GP would too sweet. Like logdrum said, i'd probably drop the honey and caramel malt though.

I've used GP in saison, i tried it in a low ABV recipe hoping that it would prevent the beer being really thin and watery. The grist was approx 75% gp, 25% torrified wheat. It worked, the beer was still nice and light, but not watery.

I say go for it!

Even if the bacteria in the culture does some souring you will end up with a lot of sweet flavors in the beer between all of that. I'm not sure what you end up with will be a beer most would identify as a saison but you can and should brew whatever you like. I think the grain bill is better suited toward a style and recipe that will put some bitterness and hop flavor around those grains, personally.

Yes, the farmhouse saison was brewed with what was available, and not all of them were “good”. They weren’t always meant to be good, just a beverage for farm hands. I would leave out the Munich and pick up some rye or possibly add rye bread to the mash if you don’t have a LHBS (about 8% of the grist’s worth) my two cents. It’s your beer do what you like. :)

Back