Golden Naked Oat Kolsch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustyhub

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I've really wanted to experiment with Golden Naked Oats and my wedding is coming up (which I am brewing all the beer for) so I wanted to give something new a try.

I have a kolsch recipe that all my buddies liked, and I decided that it might be kind of fun to swap out the white wheat in the recipe for GNO.
It should give it a little body/head retention, and hopefully add a slight subtle sweetness.

I'm also going to use bravo and galaxy hops, since I think those would pair well with GNO.

The recipe:

7lb pils
1lb Vienna
1lb Golden Naked Oats

.5oz Northern Brewer 60 min
1oz Bravo 15 min
1oz Galaxy 5 min

WLP029 Kölsch yeast

Anyone who has experimented with GNO have any thoughts?

Though I like the recipe, I believe a major even is not the time to experiment. I'd wait until afterwards - maybe the next brew day. IMO: Go with something tried and true for the big event.

I've got a little time, so I've been experimenting and trying to perfect recipes so when the big brew day happens, I know exactly what I'm brewing. :mug:

The white wheat you replacing is probably white wheat malt. GNO is a form of (light) crystal malt, leaving a residual sweetness, while providing for an oaty mouthfeel. So it will be quite different, not as crisp as a Kolsch. I'd say go for it. I love oats and GNO is just wonderful!

The white wheat you replacing is probably white wheat malt. GNO is a form of (light) crystal malt, leaving a residual sweetness, while providing for an oaty mouthfeel. So it will be quite different, not as crisp as a Kolsch. I'd say go for it. I love oats and GNO is just wonderful!

I LOVE GNO, but they have a distinct nutty flavor and aroma to them. It could be like the lizard says, but I am not as sure. The reason is that I had a pilsner recently that was pretty good, except I got a "peanuts" aftertaste and I wonder if GNO would translate as peanut taste in a kolsch.

I love them in pale ales and English browns. I'm hesitant to think it would be so great in a kolsch.

I LOVE GNO, but they have a distinct nutty flavor and aroma to them. It could be like the lizard says, but I am not as sure. The reason is that I had a pilsner recently that was pretty good, except I got a "peanuts" aftertaste and I wonder if GNO would translate as peanut taste in a kolsch.

I love them in pale ales and English browns. I'm hesitant to think it would be so great in a kolsch.

Excellent point on the slightly nutty flavor the GNO adds, forgot about that. It will be more detectable in a Kolsch type beer, as there is not much else going on than malt.

@Yooper, have you found why that Pilsner tasted like peanuts? That can't be intentional...

Thank you for the correction, yes, I used white wheat malt.
And I sort of think that in the end, I won't quite have a kolsch. Maybe something similar to a kolsch but not exactly bjcp guidelines, as kolsches are supposed to be more on the dry side than the sweet side, if I remember correctly. But I think that it might turn out pretty good anyways, even if i don't decide to call it a kolsch afterwards.

I keep reading about the "nutty" flavor that they have. Is there any craft brew out there that you can think of that uses GNO, or anything that I could try with a similar "nutty" taste?

Would this nutty taste be undesirable in a beer hopped with more tropical/sweet hops like bravo and Galaxy?

Excellent point on the slightly nutty flavor the GNO adds, forgot about that. It will be more detectable in a Kolsch type beer, as there is not much else going on than malt.

@Yooper, have you found why that Pilsner tasted like peanuts? That can't be intentional...

No, and I was slightly inebriated when I mentioned it to the brewer (oops) and with his strong Czech accent he seemed to be pretty insulted. But I had another friend (brewer) try it and he agreed.

I keep reading about the "nutty" flavor that they have. Is there any craft brew out there that you can think of that uses GNO, or anything that I could try with a similar "nutty" taste?

Would this nutty taste be undesirable in a beer hopped with more tropical/sweet hops like bravo and Galaxy?

It might be really good together. It's not dry and nutty like victory malt, but more nutty in a less dry way. I know that makes no sense, but that's the way it is. It's not like any commercial beer I've tried.

I think this recipe looks good. It sounds like a beer I would enjoy tasting. However, nothing about this recipe says Kolsch to me. Call it anything else. Simply using a kolsch yeast doesn't make this anything like a kolsch.

I think this recipe looks good. It sounds like a beer I would enjoy tasting. However, nothing about this recipe says Kolsch to me. Call it anything else. Simply using a kolsch yeast doesn't make this anything like a kolsch.

Yes, I completely agree with you actually. I guess the reason that I called it a kolsch, is because it's based off of my kolsch recipe. I just sub'd GNO in for white wheat malt...and then used completely different hops :D

So it STARTED as a kolsch, but now I have no idea what it might be.

Back