Glue Fridge Seal to Plywood?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDPR

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum so please move if necessary.

I am converting a standing fridge to a kegerator (fridge on bottom, freezer above). I took the door off, removed the seal, and removed the shelves. I cut and sanded the insulation down to be smooth and put a piece of plywood down on top of that for the shanks and everything to go through.

However, my fridge seal was one that was wedged in place and now will need to fit on top of the plywood. The gasket doesn’t really lay flat so I’m worried it won’t be strong enough to hold, should I order a new one online or just liquid nails the crap out of it?

This may seem simple to all of you, but I am mechanically un-inclined. My skills come from my father who once hit a toilet with a hammer intentionally only to discover that porcelain cracks.

Thanks for any suggestions!

If the seal doesn't lay flat anymore, I would replace it, unless you have something holding pressure on it to keep it closed tight and keep the seal compressed.

You'd probably be better off going to a big box hardware store and picking up some flat self-sticking weather stripping then trying to get a "3D" gasket to lay flat. I know Lowes sells a variety of width/thickness strippimg in a few different materials, including silicone. Get something with good compliance...

Cheers!

use a piece of 1/8 hardboard to secure the seal to the plywood. Make sure you put a couple coats of poly on the hardboard to make it waterproof
Door - plywood -door seal- hardwood.

ywEjSvz.jpg
ywEjSvz

Back