I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry the chucks eluded you yesterday, v-man.

Today, I must write a resume. The one company I called is all organic and they seemed very interested in me. They had me look up their website while on the phone with them and told me how to send in my resume. Hell, yes, I know how to start seeds and re-pot plants. That's what I do! Just hand me a seed, I'll make it grow! And I actually do have some formal training, from the best. Will Allen is my mentor. Maybe I can put him down as a reference, surely he can't forget me from his classes. The one sitting at the front of the class, then following him around like a puppy dog when we went outside for the hands-on part, raising my hand every time he asked a question. Heck, I even flirted with him right in front of hubby. And the local organic market I sell through can give me a good reference too. They have been here and saw my work and were very impressed.

So I guess I'll just find a template online and write up my resume. They said I could email it, so that makes it easy. Not sure if I told them I only needed temp work, once my crops come in, I'll be busy again. Will worry about that later. Maybe today I'll also take the chickens on a field trip, they are all looking at me like they want to go. Try to let them go and all they do is follow me around.

So Bobbi have you been feeding your chicks dried mash yet. I dried some this week but I have to say it was not a raging success. It got snowed on one day and it has not been real warm so I am going to say the smell leaves some to be desired. I stuck it a food dehydrator to finish it and the wife pretty much said never again. But I did end up with enough dried mash to give to a buddy that has chickens:rockin:

So Bobbi have you been feeding your chicks dried mash yet. I dried some this week but I have to say it was not a raging success. It got snowed on one day and it has not been real warm so I am going to say the smell leaves some to be desired. I stuck it a food dehydrator to finish it and the wife pretty much said never again. But I did end up with enough dried mash to give to a buddy that has chickens:rockin:

Yes, I have been and they go crazy over it!! They even love the warm, wet mash after a brew day. I ended up with 2 grocery bags full of dry spent grain and on the second bag now. Also some I froze because it's been too wet to dry it out in the sun. I laid it out on a big aluminum panel to dry, which worked well the first couple times, until something or some things found it and it was all gone the next day. Next time, I'll get it off the ground where hoping it won't all be eaten up by critters. On sunny days here, takes about 2 days to dry out good.

Hey all. I took a little break from the computer and television, trying to free up some time to get some stuff done. What can I say, good plan, poor execution. Funny how much meaningless stuff one can find to do when procrastination is in overdrive.

We finally had our first 50 degree day a week ago, then it was in the 70's over the weekend. Looked like winter was finally over, then it snowed again. We had about 8 inches, 18 to 22 inches in Northern Wisconsin. So the cross country ski trails are open again. Not sure about the snowmobile trails. The inland fishing season opener is today but most of the lakes up north are still froze over. I talked to a friend who knows someone on a lake up north and they still have 30 inches of ice. Crazy.

Going to be heading north after a bit and see how much of the Flambeau we have in the backyard of our place up there. Make sure the sump pump is working and that the mice aren't having a party there. Pretty much worked six day weeks from New Years, so really haven't been up there yet this year.

Needless to say I'm getting sick of winter.

In other news, Harrison, my new grandson, made it to the Brewers home opener, has fed giraffes at the Milwaukee zoo and toured Miller brewing. Darn kid has been doing more than me!

It's on the news right now, wow, all that snow in May. Good thing you didn't get your garden started during your time away from the TV and computer. Well, hopefully, you didn't! Sometimes procrastinating is a good thing!

There is an organic landscaping company that I really want to go to work for. On the phone it sounded very promising. The lady I talked to seemed very interested in me and told me how to send in my resume. Can a resume just be a long letter, separated into short paragraphs? Besides some weekend courses through the local college, I really have no formal education. But I am both artistic and I have a green thumb, plus I am obsessed with organic growing practices. Eager to share my knowledge and also learn.

I need a real job!!! A steady paycheck, some insurance I can keep our bills paid. This waiting for crops to grow, waiting for berries to come into season, waiting for trees to grow, waiting for chickens to grow big enough to start laying eggs... isn't cutting the mustard.

Well, I am a fast typer, already typed up my resume and sent it in. Also, this morning I did go see my shrink. He prescribed me something to aid the insomniac pills. I told him the only way they work is to drink a beer or 2 with them. He said that's not a good idea. Told him I kick, scream, punch, talk, and bite in my sleep(not to mention kill people in my dreams). Oh, and scratch, once I scratched hubby and bit him in my sleep. This is one of the reasons we have separate beds now. My head doctor thinks if I can just sleep soundly at night, everything will be fine. Not sure if he is correct.

Ruralbrew welcome back! I can't even imagine snow right now. I just finished weekend yard work and it's getting hot here. I sometimes miss the snow but occasional trips to my hometown during Illinois winters reminds me of how much I don't really miss snow and cold. :D

My head doctor thinks if I can just sleep soundly at night, everything will be fine. Not sure if he is correct.

I think he's probably correct. A good night's sleep is good for the soul. When well rested you are able to deal with problems better and what once might have been driving you not to sleep at night doesn't anymore. On the contrary if you aren't sleeping well even trivial problems can become overwhelming and at night keeps a person tossing and turning and that becomes a downward spiral. I know you have some major stuff to deal with, extraordinary stress not trivial issues but still believe a good sleep will help a lot. I hope the meds work and you starting resting well. I've been dealing with insomnia issues the last year or so. Life is always a lot brighter and problems seem smaller on days I've had a good night's sleep.

Sleep is the elixir (well, the other elixir after beer ;) ) for the body and mind. I'm not nearly eloquent enough to phrase it properly, so I borrowed someone else's prose...

To Sleep
BY JOHN KEATS

O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine:
O soothest Sleep! if so it please thee, close
In midst of this thine hymn my willing eyes,
Or wait the "Amen," ere thy poppy throws
Around my bed its lulling charities.
Then save me, or the passed day will shine
Upon my pillow, breeding many woes,—
Save me from curious Conscience, that still lords
Its strength for darkness, burrowing like a mole;
Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards,
And seal the hushed Casket of my Soul.

LG, the music you post here is not my favorite. But I have to say neither was rap. However, over the past year I'm getting into Rap from the influence of my daughter. Not on my car's pre-set radio stations yet. But who knows.

Maybe have to listen to more of your stuff. What music category does it fall into?
I've posted a few things. Some gothic rock, some industrial dance stuff.

This will probably be a bit more to your taste, I would say it's modern classical. No, that isn't a contradiction in terms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. Vimeo is based on flash and a uninstall/reinstall of flash is the usual cure, but not sure about your environment.
Not really applicable I'm afraid. Flash in what exactly though? Youtube doesn't work when it starts with the html5 nonsense either.

There are more than a few things I really like about this HBT site and especially this thread. One of them is I learn about music different from my norm. I'm an old dog when it comes to music. I like old rock, old country and classical upon occasion. Thanks Opus, thank you LG for introducing me to something a little more modern. :mug:

That was nice, very relaxing. Modern classical for sure. Well done!
I like many kinds of music. Though I usually prefer something with a bit more movement to it. I like to tap the modern classical stuff when I want to relax. I've heard so much of the really good classical stuff enough times that it's gotten a bit boring.

Here's something a bit more in line with folk music. :)

Pleasure with no consequences.
A wise man rejects pleasures to secure other greater pleasures, or else he endures pains to avoid worse pains.

That thought has been around BC.

Cicero, MJ?

I'm expanding my musical boundaries. This song cracks me up. Lot of swear words, that seems to be the norm these days. I like the way the music flows. The story, unless I'm just naive is hilarious. This is the music young people are listening to. We all know the music of our time was the best but our parents' didn't think the same. In music's case a person either gets over fear of what they don't like, or they learn to understand, even embrace. Or dislike for their own reason.

You know the worst part about beer that I dislike the most. I hate carrying the full cases around. As of late I have not filled my cellar up but been drinking as much so yesterday I carried a ton of beer into the cellar. Man that just sucks

You know the worst part about beer that I dislike the most. I hate carrying the full cases around. As of late I have not filled my cellar up but been drinking as much so yesterday I carried a ton of beer into the cellar. Man that just sucks

Sounds like it's time for a kegerator :mug: Then you can store it pull a glass or even pitcher. No more cleaning bottles or hauling cases around.

True. I got a keg setup before my first five gallon batch was ready because I didn't want to bottle it all. That hasn't stopped me from saving bottles, though. :drunk:

Also, I left my dirty Better Bottle on my kitchen counter for a week or so. I'd intended to wash the yeast but got lazy. Clueless visitors had no idea that the big bottle of yuckiness wasn't something vital to the brewing process ;)

I love being introduced to new types of music. The thing that makes my ears bleed is loud screechy voices, makes me almost not even like female singers, because my ears can't stand anything that high pitched. Like it'll break glass or make my ears bleed.

Now, I do love me some Janis Joplin.

I'm expanding my musical boundaries. This song cracks me up.

I posted that video here about 2 weeks ago. I like it too. Macklemore is a trip.

Here's one I keep listening to. It's been recorded a lot, but this is the best version (IMO). These guys have great harmony.

A terrier is a driller, i.e., the guys who drill through rock to lay railroad track. Mostly, this refers to all the irish immigrants who layed track in the US.

Been a crazy, hectic, fun, exhausting week. Crappie bite is on! Pulled in just under 400 last week. I've got some beer ready to keg, but it looks like I'll be heading out of town again this next week. More good weather is comming and the crappie are still on the beds. Gotta get em while the gettin's good. Hope you all are good and well.

This chicken trailer thing I am building with hubby's help is more like a chicken condo. They will be living better than us. Made from an old metal swingset. Will try to get pictures when I'm not so exhausted. Must plan another brew day soon, I need it. I never agreed to these chickens. They better make me money from eggs quick or they will become dinner. Though, I am looking forward to their **** in my garden. Roll them around, let them fertilize the soil.

Bobbi you would like this..

La Socarrada by La Soccarada Cervesa Artesanal De Xativa from Spain.

This is one of the most unique beers I've ever had. It's brewed with rosemary and rosemary honey.

There's notes of honey and subtle citrus. The rosemary taste is very obvious, but it's not offensive. It's slightly dry and not at all sweet. The aroma is extremely pleasant in a very indescribable way.

It's kind of like drinking a good quality lager while eating rosemary chicken, but in a good way!

Cheers and Happy Cinco de Mayo Amigos!

IMG-20130505-00811.jpg

Been a crazy, hectic, fun, exhausting week. Crappie bite is on! Pulled in just under 400 last week. I've got some beer ready to keg, but it looks like I'll be heading out of town again this next week. More good weather is comming and the crappie are still on the beds. Gotta get em while the gettin's good. Hope you all are good and well.

YouTube

Sounds fun and a great song. Spring kind of sucks but has its perks :mug:

I decided to completely ignore both the instructions that came with my beer kit, and the plans I had made... Yeah, I might as well have thrown the directions away. Nothing I did actually matches them. :)

I steeped 1lb of torrified wheat and 1/2lb of fawcett oat malt in a chinois until the water with the malt extract in it came to a boil. 6lb of 65% wheat and 35% barley LME. I ran hot water through the grain to fill the pot too. Then took out the grain and poured a gallon or so of hot water through the grain until the liquid ran clear. Shortened the boil to 1/2 an hour. Replaced the 1 oz of German Hallertau hop pellets with 1/2 oz of US Fuggle. 1/3 oz at 30 minutes and the remaining 1/6 oz at 5 minutes. I added the 1lb of dry wheat malt extract at 5 minutes as well. I also pitched a 11.5g of safbrew wb-06 dry yeast instead of the 11g of Munich wheat beer dry yeast that came with the kit. The batch volume was also adjusted to fit my available fermentor, so it's 4.5 gallons instead of 5 gallons.

I was a little leery of using only 11.5 grams of dry yeast in the batch, but Mrmalty said I only needed 10 grams. OG is 1.060. So if it finishes at 1.010 like I understand would be fairly typical, I should end up with 6.7% ABV. Time will tell though.

Happy brew day dance. :ban:

I moved my cider to secondary, cleaned and steamed the apples but forgot to allot time for them to freeze and then thaw back out before getting added to the cider. I'll have to do that after my extra day of work tomorrow. I forgot to allow time for the strawberries to thaw for the icecream I wanted to make today too. Next up, I need to taste my colby. It should be about ready now. Before that, I have an idea on quick thawing the strawberries to try...

Moving the strawberries to a ziplock bag and running water over them in the sink thawed them out nicely. Ice cream mix is in the freezer for a quick chill, then it will go in the new ice cream maker.

Back