Glass growler use with warm wort - how warm is too warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to make a bunch of different whirlpool hop batches from a single 5 gallon pale ale recipe, chilled to 160F and then put in 4-5 single vessels with different hop/hop-combos.

Can a 1g or 1/2g growler handle 160F?
How hot is too hot?
Should I prehaps pre-warm in say 120-130F water bath?

Thoughts?

I want to make a bunch of different whirlpool hop batches from a single 5 gallon pale ale recipe, chilled to 160F and then put in 4-5 single vessels with different hop/hop-combos.

Can a 1g or 1/2g growler handle 160F?
How hot is too hot?
Should I prehaps pre-warm in say 120-130F water bath?

Thoughts?
I think you prewarming the growler first would be the right call.

You will notice differences in all the batches for sure. Just simply switching the hops from dryhop to whirlpool and visa versa can give you vastly different aroma and flavor. As long as your limiting o2 pick up after fermentation I think you’re going to enjoy and learn a lot from what you plan to do

Last edited:
...prewarming the growler first would be the right call...limiting o2 pick up after fermentation

Thanks. And as long as I get something to taste, it's not really about long, medium or even really short term storage -- I really want flavor in a made beer rather than just creating some hop teas. I'm thinking just one more processing step beyond hop teas I guess.

Good point about the dry hop though, I've never tried it ever and if it another flavor profile variable I'll have to think about that.

Thanks. And as long as I get something to taste, it's not really about long, medium or even really short term storage -- I really want flavor in a made beer rather than just creating some hop teas. I'm thinking just one more processing step beyond hop teas I guess.

Good point about the dry hop though, I've never tried it ever and if it another flavor profile variable I'll have to think about that.
Idk if I understand fully what you’re doing then? So you aren’t bottling these beers separately that will be whirlpools with other hops? They’re coming back together in the same FV?

You should definitely preheat the growlers. When you pour in hot liquid it will hit the bottom and warm it first while the sides maintain the regular (room) temperature and thus create stress between sides and bottom and thus crack..... Or I guess you could pour very, very slow down the side to try and equalize the temperature

Idk if I understand fully what you’re doing then? So you aren’t bottling these beers separately that will be whirlpools with other hops? They’re coming back together in the same FV?

Oh I'm going grain to bottle, definitely, just saying I am not worried about making a bottled product that I want to hang out for 5-10 months, sharing occasionally with friends, worrying about shelf life. My plan is to brew, ferment (maybe dry hop now), bottle condition (my spleen twitches at the thought of the multiple bottling/labeling/keepingitstraighting/process) and then sample.

Further clarification: making one 5g batch, simple magnum 60m bittering charge, simple pale ale grist makeup, chill to 160F and have 4 to 6 fermenting vessels ready with different whirlpooling/nochill. So each hop or hop combo will be in its own 1gal container all the rest of the way through to bottling.

Oh I'm going grain to bottle, definitely, just saying I am not worried about making a bottled product that I want to hang out for 5-10 months, sharing occasionally with friends, worrying about shelf life. My plan is to brew, ferment (maybe dry hop now), bottle condition (my spleen twitches at the thought of the multiple bottling/labeling/keepingitstraighting/process) and then sample.

Further clarification: making one 5g batch, simple magnum 60m bittering charge, simple pale ale grist makeup, chill to 160F and have 4 to 6 fermenting vessels ready with different whirlpooling/nochill. So each hop or hop combo will be in its own 1gal container all the rest of the way through to bottling.
Gotcha. I just understand now. Even so, hop flavors can oxidize literally in minutes so just be weary, that’s all. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back