Ginger wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evilgrin

Reaction score
Ive read several recipes online. Some leave the ginger in and some strain it out after boiling. I just need to make a gallon of semi sweet ginger wine for cooking mainly. Ive got some really nice fresh ginger i just bought. Would like to get about 12%-14% ABV and the only yeast i got that should max out around that is Brewer Best Cider House Select. I might still have some 71B too.

Instead of raisin ive got some white grape juice without preservatives. Got a couple fresh lemons also. Probably use a at least a half gallon of the grape juice.

50 views and no suggestions? I tried searching the board and it seems its not very common aside from making an ale or beer.

I often use Canada Dry ginger ale to deglaze a pan if im wanting a sweetened ginger flavor. It works pretty well. A more intense ginger wine might take it to a new level.

Well, you didn't ask any questions. Or did you mean it to be a question--about straining the ginger or not? What you're doing sounds reasonable to me. I'm new at this, and have one batch of ginger wine going, that I used raisins and bananas with. I didn't cook the ginger at all, but chopped it up, and then kept it in all during primary fermentation. But it's still in secondary, so I don't know how it tastes yet.

I ended up using my Instant Pot at 5min and natural release for the ginger. Added organic raw sugar while it was still pretty hot. Strained out the ginger and saved it. Combined that with white grape juice, juice from a large lemon and 1/2cup of dextrose.

Yes i mainly wanted to know if it should be strained out.

4cups sugar, 1/2cup dextrose and the sugar in the juice should hit 12%-13.5% if the Cider House Select will go that high. I didnt add any nutrients but ive heard its been added to the packet already.

Last edited:
Racked off. I put some in a small bottle in the fridge to see how well it clears up also.
rJkJwB0.jpg

100 grams
I got some Ginger People ginger syrup if needed at bottling.

Last one i bottle carbed with a tsp of sugar and it was quite fizzy. Surprised the hell out of me too. Need to cut that back to 1/2 tsp next time for a 750ml flip top.

Changing things up a bit for the next batch using "The Ginger People" ginger juice, more sugar and EC-1118. Also considering K1-V yeast.

5 cups organic raw sugar
2 cup dextrose
2 cups ginger juice
2 TBS lime juice
white grape juice
1/4 tsp yeast nutrient

That should get close to 16-18% and very strong ginger which is the goal. They claim 32oz of the ginger juice is equal to about 2.5lbs of fresh ginger. Using this one mostly for deglazing stirfy pans and marinades.

White grape juice rather than raisins is interesting, how did it turn out?
I strain mine beforehand since there is zest, spices and all when I make it which I don't think would age nicely. Also, if you don't strain it at first there might be a large amount of pulpy wine at the bottom that'll be wasted when you rack it off or bottle.

Well, I have to say that the ginger wine I made without cooking the ginger three years ago was incredibly yummy. This is a good reminder that I should make some more. Lots of good suggestions here!

Back