GF Northeast, Juicy, Hazy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone done a GF Northeast, Juicy, Hazy IPA?

This is next on my list too! :)

I saw this today in fact:

http://thecraftbeerchannel.com/gipsy-hill-drifter-east-coast-ipa-recipe/

and I plan to work on a recipe soon (will be adapting it to GF ingredients of course). I've never racked chilled wort onto dry hops in the past nor have I dry hopped midway through fermentation. I also use a hop sock for clarity but I may stop using that for that EC/NE haziness you get with Alchemist, Trillium, Treehouse, etc.

This is next on my list too! :)

I saw this today in fact:

http://thecraftbeerchannel.com/gipsy-hill-drifter-east-coast-ipa-recipe/

and I plan to work on a recipe soon (will be adapting it to GF ingredients of course). I've never racked chilled wort onto dry hops in the past nor have I dry hopped midway through fermentation. I also use a hop sock for clarity but I may stop using that for that EC/NE haziness you get with Alchemist, Trillium, Treehouse, etc.

I am totally obsessed with NE juicy IPA's! Don't want to drink anything else honestly.

Please keep me posted on the recipe you come up with. I have been trying to wrap my head around how to do a GF juicy IPA. I assume oats would be part of it and as you mentioned lots of dry hopping.

Are you Celiac or gluten intolerant? Have you tried any of the juicy IPA's from Alchemist, Trillium, Treehouse?

:mug:

Looks like we all had the same idea :) ... I'm building a recipe right now based on the Julius Clone in the 10/16 issue of BYO and hoping to brew in the next month or so. Here is a (very) preliminary grain bill and hop schedule.

NEIPA (Julius Clone) - Gluten Free

5.75 lb - Pale Rice malt
1 lb - Biscuit Rice Malt
1 lb - Munich Millet Malt
1 lb - Buckwheat Malt
12 oz - United Kingdom - Oat Malt
4 oz - Crystal Millet Malt
4 oz - Rolled Oats
6 oz - Turbinado
12 oz - Rice Hulls

HOPS:
2 g - HopShot, Type: Pellet, AA: 95, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 42.82
28 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 180 °F, IBU: 13.91
28 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 180 °F, IBU: 12.33
14 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.9, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 180 °F, IBU: 6.36
35 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
28 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
21 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.9, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days

Thank you so much for sharing that! Looks great! Keep us posted on changes and how it goes when you brew.

Trying to figure out where the haziness comes from? How/from what is the haziness produced? The oats, the yeast? Do you have any idea?

Looks like we all had the same idea :) ... I'm building a recipe right now based on the Julius Clone in the 10/16 issue of BYO and hoping to brew in the next month or so. Here is a (very) preliminary grain bill and hop schedule.

NEIPA (Julius Clone) - Gluten Free

5.75 lb - Pale Rice malt
1 lb - Biscuit Rice Malt
1 lb - Munich Millet Malt
1 lb - Buckwheat Malt
12 oz - United Kingdom - Oat Malt
4 oz - Crystal Millet Malt
4 oz - Rolled Oats
6 oz - Turbinado
12 oz - Rice Hulls

HOPS:
2 g - HopShot, Type: Pellet, AA: 95, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 42.82
28 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 180 °F, IBU: 13.91
28 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 180 °F, IBU: 12.33
14 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.9, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 180 °F, IBU: 6.36
35 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
28 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
21 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.9, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days

Bump.

I would like to know if you ever brewed this and how it turned out. My wife is on a gluten free kick right now so she won't drink beer. She loves IPA's, but doesn't really drink wine or liquor so my best chance of getting her a little sauced up is to brew her a good gluten free IPA

Don't use kettle finings, and be sure to dry hop during active fermentation...it will be hazy

Awesome. This is what I have been reading as well. In fact that article I posted above talks about flame out, chill, then rack into primary at pitch temps on top of your first charge of dry hops (that is, add the dry hops first into your bucket/carboy then rack cooled wort on top of the hops).

I have never done this: I have always done dry hopping after fermentation settles down. I plan to try this on my next batch too.

I am totally obsessed with NE juicy IPA's! Don't want to drink anything else honestly.

Please keep me posted on the recipe you come up with. I have been trying to wrap my head around how to do a GF juicy IPA. I assume oats would be part of it and as you mentioned lots of dry hopping.

Are you Celiac or gluten intolerant? Have you tried any of the juicy IPA's from Alchemist, Trillium, Treehouse?

Bruce, luckily I am not celiac but only mildly intolerant and I still drink and trade for cans from Alchemist, Trillium, Treehouse, Fiddle Head, and some up and coming NY/NJ beers. I have mild intestinal issues that I dealt with. I actually got into brewing GF beers because of my wife (very GF intolerant but not celiac) and the challenge of trying to work out the puzzle of GF brewing. In any case, yes... I was introduced to the style from the original Alchemist pub where Heady Topper was just one of 10 beers John Kimmich had on tap. They were all mind blowing. His wife (a celiac coincidentally) used to tend bar and he'd be in the basement crafting the brews. What a great pub that was... many of the people that are doing the style in the NE were patrons (brewers of Fiddle Head and Hill Farmstead are confirmed regulars from back in those days and I would guess that Trillium and Treehouse were there too and were also inspired). In any case these are great beers and this is my favorite style and I prefer them over the crystal clear NW IPAs from around here. 3 local pubs here are working on NE IPA recipes. Orlison, a local brewery did a fairly nice job but they need to work on the yeast strain and hop mix but they did get it cloudy:

17818501_1284409515012634_1118470914795634688_n[1].jpg

Bruce, luckily I am not celiac but only mildly intolerant and I still drink and trade for cans from Alchemist, Trillium, Treehouse, Fiddle Head, and some up and coming NY/NJ beers. I have mild intestinal issues that I dealt with. I actually got into brewing GF beers because of my wife (very GF intolerant but not celiac) and the challenge of trying to work out the puzzle of GF brewing. In any case, yes... I was introduced to the style from the original Alchemist pub where Heady Topper was just one of 10 beers John Kimmich had on tap. They were all mind blowing. His wife (a celiac coincidentally) used to tend bar and he'd be in the basement crafting the brews. What a great pub that was... many of the people that are doing the style in the NE were patrons (brewers of Fiddle Head and Hill Farmstead are confirmed regulars from back in those days and I would guess that Trillium and Treehouse were there too and were also inspired). In any case these are great beers and this is my favorite style and I prefer them over the crystal clear NW IPAs from around here. 3 local pubs here are working on NE IPA recipes. Orlison, a local brewery did a fairly nice job but they need to work on the yeast strain and hop mix but they did get it cloudy:

Thanks for sharing and responding. I am self diagnosed gluten intolerant/sensitive. Need to get tested to find out what is really going on.

So cool and lucky that you were around for the inception of such great beer and an new awesome beer style at that pub. Oh man, I would have loved to have been there too.

So lucky too that you have got to try all the greatest NE IPA beers. I have not seen any of them up here in BC, Canada. I wonder if I can even get them anywhere.

The local craft breweries are just starting to make some NE IPA's and some are great, some miss the mark a bit IMO. The best I have tried so far is Steamworks Flagship IPA and Bridge Brewing Side Cut NE IPA. Can't wait to try the ones coming down the pipe soon. And can't wait to brew my own, must get off my ass and brew!

Cheers :mug:

Just stumbled across this:

http://brulosophy.com/2017/02/09/br...rmont-ale-conan-in-neipa-exbeeriment-results/

and no surprise yeast is one of the critical factors. Wyeast is not GF but I believe the GigaYeast Vermont IPA is (it looks like a dry yeast, can someone confirm that, or not?). If not then celiacs beware. I plan to try this next (my only experience has been US-05.

In addition, this seems to give some insight on grain bill (obviously ignore the wheat but there is GF oatmeal available) and on the late hop additions:

http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/q...oj-looking-pale-ale-a-la-trillium-tired-hands

The real wacky thing is the mention of the use of flour. I've never heard of that before.

Ok, Here's my crack at a recipe. As I said before its based on the OCT 2016 BYO article on New England style IPAs. This is a gluten free adaption of Tree House Brewing Co's Julius Clone. Hoping to brew this for the first time in 2 or 3 weeks. Comments and criticisms welcome!

Title: NEIPA (Julius Clone) - Gluten Free

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.9 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.049
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 6.54%
IBU (tinseth): 75.35
SRM (morey): 7.26

FERMENTABLES:
5.75 lb - Pale Rice malt (51.4%)
1 lb - Biscuit Rice Malt (8.9%)
1 lb - Munich Millet Malt (8.9%)
1 lb - Buckwheat Malt (8.9%)
12 oz - United Kingdom - Oat Malt (6.7%)**
4 oz - Crystal Millet Malt (2.2%)
4 oz - Rolled Oats (2.2%)
6 oz - Turbinado (3.4%)
13 oz - Rice Hulls (7.3%)

HOPS:
4 mL - HopShot, AA: 95, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 42.75 (estimated)
35 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.1, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days*
28 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days*
21 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.9, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days*

MASH GUIDELINES (Grainfather):
1) Temperature, Temp: 104 F, Time: 30 min, Beta-Glucan
2) Temperature, Temp: 168 F, Time: 30 min, Gelantinization
3) Temperature, Temp: 154 F, Time: 90 min, Saccrification
4) Temperature, Temp: 170 F, Time: 20 min, Mash out
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.75 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 tbsp - Termamyl, Time: Mash-in, Use: Mash
1 tsp - Amalyse Enzyme (Diatase), Time: 60 min, Use: Mash
0.25 tsp - WLN1000 White Labs Yeast Nutrient, Time: 10 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Mangrove Jack - Liberty Bell Ale M36 (2 packs re-hydrated)
Starter: No

** Depending on the source these may not be gluten free due to cross-contamination

* Add dry hops to primary as krausen begins to fall

Good plan. Looking forward for more posts on how this turns out. 75 IBU ... Wow!

Based on my experience I have gone to millet pale base malt and all of my crystal or roasted grain comes from rice. Not sure what grain you have already purchased. The complaints on rice are that rice base malts produce very thin finished product. But the rice husk produces a better roasted character so it lends itself to crystal and roasted malts. Better than millet in my opinion. With such a hop forward beer, it may not matter but something to consider for less hop forward batches.

Good plan. Looking forward for more posts on how this turns out. 75 IBU ... Wow!

Based on my experience I have gone to millet pale base malt and all of my crystal or roasted grain comes from rice. Not sure what grain you have already purchased. The complaints on rice are that rice base malts produce very thin finished product. But the rice husk produces a better roasted character so it lends itself to crystal and roasted malts. Better than millet in my opinion. With such a hop forward beer, it may not matter but something to consider for less hop forward batches.

Chris, thanks for the feed back!

I've been going with pale rice malt as my base because I was worried about re-circulation issues (I brew with a Grainfather) I might have with a grain bill of mostly millet malts.

I have been using the roasted rice malts from Eckert and am really happy with the results. And to add body the crystal, Munich, and Vienna millet, plus buckwheat from Grouse.

But to take your advice I will start replacing some pale rice with pale millet and see if it affects recirculation any.

You can always add rice hulls to compensate for the millet base. On my parital mash batches where I used a manifold, millet did not give me a problem, but high portions of buckwheat definitely did. Buckwheat makes porridge when you even get close to gelatinization temps. If you go with millet base with some buckwheat for head retention, then I would definitely consider some rice hulls if you rely on good filtration. A stuck sparge SUCKS!

Just stumbled across this:

http://brulosophy.com/2017/02/09/br...rmont-ale-conan-in-neipa-exbeeriment-results/

and no surprise yeast is one of the critical factors. Wyeast is not GF but I believe the GigaYeast Vermont IPA is (it looks like a dry yeast, can someone confirm that, or not?). If not then celiacs beware. I plan to try this next (my only experience has been US-05.

In addition, this seems to give some insight on grain bill (obviously ignore the wheat but there is GF oatmeal available) and on the late hop additions:

http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/q...oj-looking-pale-ale-a-la-trillium-tired-hands

The real wacky thing is the mention of the use of flour. I've never heard of that before.

Gigayeast Vermont IPA is a liquid yeast.
I have used it on several beers. I assumed it was not GF(but never checked) so I made a series of GF starters to culture this yeast away from the wort it came in.
It's a nice yeast strain, I was really happy with a few of the beers I used it in.

I finally got around to brewing this Saturday and the day went pretty well, if a bit long due to the additional time to whirlpool the hops at the end of the boil. As if our brew days aren't already long enough ... :)

OG came in a bit higher than expected at 1067, but i don't think this will cause any issues. Also, I think the color could have been a half shade darker. I'd like to see it go more into the orange range. So maybe a little amber rice malt to darken next time? Hop aroma at whirlpool was an amazing blast of citrus with a touch of pine. Taste at this point was all citrusy-piney goodness. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Very clear mash
20170513_081639.jpg

Pre-pitch sample looking pretty hazy
20170513_122908.jpg

Happily fermenting away this morning
20170515_072716.jpg

This thread gives me hope! After years of a healthy Tree House, Hill Farmstead, Trillium, Alchemist, etc diet, I have been diagnosed with Celiac's. I've been sampling various gluten free beers and we'll...it's a bit depressing thus far (Glutenberg seems to be my best option).

I'm very curious to see how this brew turns out. If anything can come close to my beloved NE style IPA, I'll be a happy man.

skleice, my wife cannot have gluten either. So I've tried many GF beers with her. Ghostfish pale ale seems like the closest to a regular beer (sparing the "gluten reduced" beers)

NEIPA (Julius Clone) recipe update

It's four weeks after bottling and I am really happy with the results. I've been drinking it for two weeks and it is still holding up very well. Great hop aroma, some alcohol heat fading to citrus and grapefruit notes, mild bitterness, medium body, just enough carbonation.

I've been giving this to every beer drinker I know to get feed back and all has been positive, all saying they wouldn't have know it was gluten free (I believe the hop forward style helps with this), and to style.

My own criticisms are a lack of head retention, which seems to be the case with any of my beers with oats or oat malt in the grain bill. Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated. And over attenuation (ended at 1.010 for 7.5% ABV) which my explain the mild, though noticeable alcohol burn. I'm still working on dialing in my enzyme load so i should have this resolved for next time.

Cheers!

20170703_193457.jpg

I brewed a NE style IPA about 2 weeks ago and kegged it on this past Sunday. I am pretty pleased all in all. There were some new things I tried all at the same time so here's a recap of what I was attempting:

1. my previous batches with Grouse malts have all been good beers but there's always been this biscuity (but in a cloying way) to them... it was puzzling. Some mentioned it might be some of the Crystal or Vienna malts doing that. Perhaps I was using too much... dunno at this point but could be.

2. trying to reduce a reliance on the expensive malted grains and attempt a batch with bulk bin aisle grains (ala Legume). The nice thing about bulk aisle is that the millet is about $2/lb when on sale give or take.

3. trying to work on a juicy NE IPA style using some different to me hopping techniques to get the hazy and aromatic juice bombs I am currently drooling for.

So my recipe was as follows:

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/whatchamahoozie

11.0 lb Millet Mash 20 1 °L (Super 1, bulk aisle)
5.0 lb Pale Millet Malt Mash 27 1 °L (Grouse)
1.0 lb Buckwheat Groats (Bob's Red Mill) 2.0 hr Mash

1.0 oz Columbus (US) 30 min Boil Pellet
1.0 oz Cascade (US) 15 min Boil Pellet
1.0 oz Centennial (US) 10 min Boil Pellet
0.5 oz Cascade (US) 5 min Boil Pellet
2.0 oz Cascade (US) 2 days Dry Hop Pellet
2.0 oz Columbus (US) 2 days Dry Hop Pellet
2.0 oz Columbus (US) 0 days Dry Hop Pellet (dropped directly in fermenter, rack chilled wort right on top)
2.0 oz Cascade (US) 0 days Dry Hop Pellet (dropped directly in fermenter, rack chilled wort right on top)

Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05 85.5%

Target your mash for 185°F, add 1 tbs Termamyl ref. http://www.homebrewing.org/Termamyl-Liquid-Endo-Alpha-Amylase-4-oz_p_3151.html and mash for 60-90 mins**.

Chill to 140°F and add 1 tsp powdered LD Carlson Amylase ref. http://www.homebrewing.org/Amylase-Enzyme-1-oz_p_1081.html and mash for 60 mins**

(Note: I believe that this is "SEBAml" because I looked up the product on LD Carlson and their MSDS (see PDF attached) claims this is SEBAmyl, see: https://storefront.ldcarlson.com/storefrontCommerce/itemDetail.do?item-id=2895)

**I did the high temp mash for 120 because I had to run an errand and just left the tun alone. I think 60 might be plenty because when I measured SG I was in the 1.051 range during mash step 1 and was getting over 1.060 in step 2 so I was pretty happy with my conversions. And this was with 10 pounds of bulk aisle unmalted millet and 5 lbs of malt.

Fermentation went fine... temps jumped around a bit 68-74F but nothing too terrible. Once I hit 1.015-16 SG, I racked to a keg and cold crashed. I have learned that if you let US-05 fully attenuate your mouth feel will be about the same as seltzer water. This leaves some residual sugars in the beer which I think for this style improves the taste.

Volume in Fermenter 5.0 gal
Measured Original Gravity1.055
Measured Final Gravity1.015
ABV5.2%

Color: grapefruit juice, cloudy and opaque like the Julius.
Head: too early to tell, still carbing.
Tasting notes: this tastes JUST LIKE grapefruit juice (which I attribute to the 4oz of CTZ and 4oz of Cascade. The biscuity taste from previous batches is not present at all. The mouth feel so far is thicker than anything else I have brewed. I think the buckwheat plus stopping fermentation when the final gravity was in the mid teens with this yeast helps this.

I'll report back and take a pic once I have a proper pour that is carbed (I'm taking sips every day) but I am thinking this is a total winner.

I want to thank everyone that helped me along the way with ideas on mashing etc: Chris and Legume for example have been real pioneers here and their experiments got me to this point. Cheers.

p.s. sort of a side note: There was one fairly interesting snafu: racking from primary to keg! With all that hop matter, I could not get a racking cane to work. I ended up using my biab bag (sanitized) and pushing it down into wort so that the wort would seep thru and I could them rack that out. It was a pain in the butt but I got about 4 gals of wort (losing a gallon to trub loss really stings) so I will adjust my recipe to mash more, get more in the primary bucket so that I can try to get closer to my keg size of 5 gals. Perhaps I really need to bag up the hops in primary and weigh down the bag. Another thought was to line my fermenter with my BIAB bag, then raise the bad like you do during the mash but in this case its hops (but I think there might be a danger of aeration if I am not super careful and gentle). Open to idea here.

NEIPA (Julius Clone) recipe update

It's four weeks after bottling and I am really happy with the results. I've been drinking it for two weeks and it is still holding up very well. Great hop aroma, some alcohol heat fading to citrus and grapefruit notes, mild bitterness, medium body, just enough carbonation.

I've been giving this to every beer drinker I know to get feed back and all has been positive, all saying they wouldn't have know it was gluten free (I believe the hop forward style helps with this), and to style.

My own criticisms are a lack of head retention, which seems to be the case with any of my beers with oats or oat malt in the grain bill. Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated. And over attenuation (ended at 1.010 for 7.5% ABV) which my explain the mild, though noticeable alcohol burn. I'm still working on dialing in my enzyme load so i should have this resolved for next time.

Cheers!

That looks like Julius! Kudos!

This thread gives me hope! After years of a healthy Tree House, Hill Farmstead, Trillium, Alchemist, etc diet, I have been diagnosed with Celiac's. I've been sampling various gluten free beers and we'll...it's a bit depressing thus far (Glutenberg seems to be my best option).

I'm very curious to see how this brew turns out. If anything can come close to my beloved NE style IPA, I'll be a happy man.

I left VT before Hill Farmstead came onto the scene. I probably sat next to Sean Hill in the original Alchemist brewpub though! I hear he was there a lot. Trillium and Tree House are incredible (I still do beer trades for them and Alchemist).

As far as doing this GF, I think you can! Just learn from what others are doing here and dive in.

p.s. sort of a side note: There was one fairly interesting snafu: racking from primary to keg! With all that hop matter, I could not get a racking cane to work. I ended up using my biab bag (sanitized) and pushing it down into wort so that the wort would seep thru and I could them rack that out. It was a pain in the butt but I got about 4 gals of wort (losing a gallon to trub loss really stings) so I will adjust my recipe to mash more, get more in the primary bucket so that I can try to get closer to my keg size of 5 gals. Perhaps I really need to bag up the hops in primary and weigh down the bag. Another thought was to line my fermenter with my BIAB bag, then raise the bad like you do during the mash but in this case its hops (but I think there might be a danger of aeration if I am not super careful and gentle). Open to idea here.

Mergs, I've been using hop socks for dryhopping (http://www.homebrewing.org/Small-Muslin-Bag_p_1248.html). I boil them for 10 minutes to sanitize and keep it to about one ounce of pellets per bag. I was having the same racking and loss issues as you and these make a huge difference.

Here's a small pour this morning.

Looks and tastes like carbed up grapefruit juice.

This keg will blow fast.

I still can't believe I made this from unmalted millet from the bulk aisle. Winning.

IMG_20170724_094303_058[1].jpg

I'm just starting out, but a recent rice malt extract brew using Galaxy and Belgian Saaz Motueka hops came out with the kind of wet, fruit-juice flavours described here. For those in Australia, it was kind of like a pine-lime Splice IPA...I'm not a huge IPA fan but am looking forward to trying this again as my brewing improves.

Back