Getting Started with Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roach

Reaction score
I know this has plenty of great threads, but almost all of them are for beer.

I want to get started in kegging my soda, since it's the easiest way to sell it (At least in my town). I will never be brewing beer, or storing it in these kegs, so I'm looking for info on kegging soda EXCLUSIVELY.

Would someone like to make a shopping list for me? I'm sure I'll have lots of questions, but that sounds like a great place to start.

It is pretty much the same exact process just a different liquid

Look at the graphic on this website:
Homebrew Kegging System
This graphic shows what you will need to keg soda, minus the soda products and sanitizer.

Once the keg is properly sanitized, you fill it up with your soda, close the keg, attach your ball lock (in) attached to gas, then turn the gas on. Same as in homebrewing.

Yes, same equipment as beer.

Also, you'll want to decide if you're going to use the keg exclusively for one type of soda, as it can be difficult to remove certain soda's odor from the non-metal parts (bev line, gaskets, o-ring). In other words, it's best to keep a rootbeer keg dedicated to rootbeer, and an orange soda keg dedicated to orange and not alternate between them.

ALso, if you are going to use it for carbonated water, and use flavored syrups on the side. Personally, I find this to be more versatile. But not as easy to have 5 gallons.

keg, co2 tank, regulator, gas line, bev line, connectors depending on type of keg, dispenser valve. (beer tap or picnic tap), way to keep it all cold, gas, bottles for syrups.

Good point, I believe it's been mentioned (mostly by Yooper) that you'll want 25-30' of bev line. Alternatively, some people use what looks like a mixing stick that fits into the outlet of the keg.

Back