Getting re-hyrdated yeast to pitching temp, low FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAddikt

Expert Beer Quaffer
Reaction score
So I re-hydrated some yeast on my last batch and had an issue with getting it cooled down to the same temp as the wort when it came time to pitch. Started the yeast in about 95-100 degree water, then let it do it's thing while I cooled my wort. After cooling the kettle in an ice bath, aerating my wort and adding additional water to bring to 5 gallons my wort temp was about 68 degrees. This took about 30 minutes.

However, in that same 30 minute period my re-hydrated yeast was still above 80 degrees. I pitched it anyway, then later read that this could shock the yeast. The next morning the bubbler was going NUTS and continued to bubble like a mad man for about 2 days so I figured all was well, however when I took my FG reading it was only at 1.014.

I was brewing Northern Brewer's Block Party Amber Ale so I'm not sure if this was to be expected. OG is 1.043 though mine was a bit lower than that. I tried to keep the fermentation temp between 60-70 degrees but it fluctuated quite a bit.

Any advice on getting my re-hydrated yeast to cool to below 70 in less than 30 minutes and whether pitching yeast at higher temp than wort can contribute to high FG? It seems virtually impossible to cool the yeast 25 degrees in 30 minutes just using room temp alone.

You rehydrated the yeast with 95-100 degree water? I've gotten rehydrated yeast to pitching temp by throwing it in the refrigerator to cool it. Is that an option?

You rehydrated the yeast with 95-100 degree water? I've gotten rehydrated yeast to pitching temp by throwing it in the refrigerator to cool it. Is that an option?

I thought about trying that but I'm only using plastic wrap to cover during re-hydration so I'm concerned about contaminating the yeast.

I usually add small amounts of the cooled wort to the yeast when I'm ready to pitch. Add some...stir....add some more....stir. I'm usually within 10 degrees or so of wort temp.
The plastic wrap should be fine no longer than it'll be in there. I use plastic wrap sprayed with starsan.

I usually add small amounts of the cooled wort to the yeast when I'm ready to pitch. Add some...stir....add some more....stir. I'm usually within 10 degrees or so of wort temp.
The plastic wrap should be fine no longer than it'll be in there. I use plastic wrap sprayed with starsan.

^This is exactly what I was looking for. Cheers!

I thought about trying that but I'm only using plastic wrap to cover during re-hydration so I'm concerned about contaminating the yeast.

Mehhh...I wouldn't worry about that. If you are that worried about it, spray some star san water on a piece of aluminum foil and seal the top of the vessel with that.

I just put the cup of yeast into the freezer to cool down to temp. I check it often by taking it out and checking the temp with a sanitized digital thermometer, but I don't cover it with anything. Never been a problem ever, not once. People get a little too paranoid at times, remember your freezer is a sealed compartment, but even still when the yeast is rehydrating for that first 15 minutes before stirring it up I leave it out in the open on a counter, not covered. Again, never been an issue. Of course though, I do sanitize the cup, fully immersed in StarSan before the water and yeast are added. And as mentioned I sanitize the thermometer between each temp reading. That should be adequate.

Rev.

Mehhh...I wouldn't worry about that. If you are that worried about it, spray some star san water on a piece of aluminum foil and seal the top of the vessel with that.

Truth be told, the smells that sometimes emanate from my fridge make me wonder if I should even eat anything that comes out of it. Of course I blame my wife... ;) But based on responses I'm going to give it a shot.

...but I don't cover it with anything. Never been a problem ever, not once. People get a little too paranoid at times, remember your freezer is a sealed compartment, but even still when the yeast is rehydrating for that first 15 minutes before stirring it up I leave it out in the open on a counter, not covered.

Rev.

This gives me a lot of peace of mind. Thanks Rev.

Back