Pumpkin Blossom Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobCalamari

Reaction score
I bottled and tasted some Orange Blossom Mead that I started last summer with Cotes des Blancs yeast, and has been bulk aging for about 6 months. It tastes really nice and floral, around 12% and fairly smooth, definitely the best mead I have made to date. Anyway I started two new meads using some local pumpkin blossom honey that I found at a farmers market last fall. One of them is a very simple light mead with 2 lbs of honey per gallon, bulk aged with a modest amount of pumpkin pie spices for 6 months using Cotes des Blancs yeast, bubbling away nicely thank you very much. The other i think is a bit more interesting and more experimental: It is a three gallon batch of blueberry melomel, using 2.5 pounds of honey and 2 pounds of sugar (around 1.5 pounds of sugars per gallon), so very low sugar for a mead, and I am fermenting it in a bucket over three pounds of wyman's frozen blueberries, and the juice and zest of 3 large lemons, using safale 04 yeast rather than a wine yeast. Hopefully the 1.5 # of sugar per gallon plus the sugar from the bloobs will be enough to for the ale yeast to ferment to between 7-10% alcohol with room for me to add priming sugar and carbonate it after a secondary fermentation.

16087_4717391208039_1702323429_n.jpg

That's a honey I'd like to try one of these days. I guess it's pretty seasonal and my supplier was out so I'm waiting patiently for this years crop.

Latest posts

Back