Gene Cafe Roaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AF1HomeBrew

Reaction score
I’ve been using a Gene Cafe Roaster on a weekly basis since 2012 to roast a lb of beans (2 separate roast with a 15 minute rest in between roasts) , and it’s been a very reliable roaster. Anyone else using one?

A60A9B40-F509-4FD1-9508-39BEA4E2BC6B.jpeg

I've always thought they looked cool...I love that vent u have!
I had a behmor but sold it until I have more time...been contemplating building my own roaster with a solid drum.

I've always thought they looked cool...I love that vent u have!
I had a behmor but sold it until I have more time...been contemplating building my own roaster with a solid drum.

Thanks. Before purchasing the Gene Cafe I also had 2 Fresh Roast (can't remember the models) roasters which cost much less, roasted only 4 oz and more of a hassle. Ended up giving those to a brewing buddy and purchasing the Gene Cafe. He had a Behmor roaster but ended up frying it somehow.

They recommend letting the heating element cool down to under 100 degrees before using again. After 8 yrs of use it seems to have help keep it running well.

The rest is not necessary. I regularly do eight or nine pounds back to back with ~30 seconds between batches--just long enough to dump the chamber and refill. Been going strong for five years now with no issues, roasting roughly 120 lbs per year.

Back