Hoppy Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcraft18

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my second batch. First batch didn't turn out very good (didn't even bottle it. I am using the same kit as the first time (brewers best red ale) it comes with two different hops...1 oz. UK Fuggle and 1 oz. :ban:Uk east kent Golding. I also bought 3 oz of Citra hops. I am planning on following the instructions on the first two hops but don't know when to add the Citra. All at once, spread them out or even dry hop. What do you all think. I would like to make a red with high IBUs

What went so badly that you didn't even try to bottle and give the beer a chance? And have you addressed the issue? Because whatever it is I doubt that simply throwing more hops at it is the answer. And kind of an odd hop combo at that.

Yeah I figured it out. When I was putting my air lock on the gasket fell into the beer...with out thinking I grabbed a spoon and scooped it out. I never sanitized it....that was on thing I was thinking...and I also had the the primary sitting in my man cave porch of our new house and didn't realized that the temp changed so much in it (50 at night - 85 in the day) it got mold spots on it and I decided to just try again

Well the temp swings during fermentation are not good. For future reference though mold is not necessarily the end of the world. Speaking from experience you can skim it off and still package (I'm not the squeamish type :D).

If I was going to alter the recipe with citra I would probably swap out the hops entirely. But I may not be the best judge as I hate Fuggles - to me it's like licking the bottom of a shoe. I also think the citra might overpower the K. Goldings, which I do like but I don't usually pair it with bold American hops. Honestly, if you're new to recipes I'd probably just brew it as is and save the citra for something else, but that's just my 2 cents.
:mug:

I love fuggles and citra but I'm not sure they go together well. If you use both I would add the citra with .5 oz 5 min. 1 oz 1 min. And 1.5 oz dry hop.

Back