Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooglebass

Reaction score
Hey, I am hoping I did this right. Looking for critique on this.

Style: Witbier
Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 6.5 gal
OG: 1.041
FG: 1.010
Bitterness (IBU): 10.4
Color (SRM): 31.5
ABV: 4.1%

Grain/Sugars:

3.00 lb Extra Light DME, 48.0%
1.50 lb Flaked Wheat, 24.0%
1.00 lb Wheat DME, 16.0%
0.75 lb Midnight Wheat, 12.0%

Hops:

0.50 oz Kent Golding (AA 5.1%, Pellet) 60 min, 10.4 IBU

Yeast/Misc:

Corriander Seed, 0.8 oz(s), Spice , boil 10 min
Grapefruit, 0.5 oz(s), Spice , boil 10 min
Blood Orange, 0.5 oz(s), Spice , boil 10 min

Is that to much midnight wheat? Will it impact the flavor? Also I'm wanting to add blood.oranges to secondary, should I just add the juice so it won't get to bitter or not.worry about.it? Thanks

31.5 SRM is WAYYY out of the BJCP range for witbier of 2-4

First i would sub out most of your DME for wheat, its actaully a blend of 45%wheat 65%barley malt, it will add more to the style and give you better mouthfeel
I would also remove all of that midnight wheat if you want a clasic wit, the midnight will add roasty carmel flavors.
The blood orange will darken it slightly but atleast be in stlye by adding orange flavor.
ONLY use the OUTER zest (flesh) @10-5 and juice of the fruit @flameout. The white pith is very bitter and will throw you IBUs way up.

Ya, I know the srm is way to high. Just was trying to think of something to.use midnight wheat in. I may do with out it for now.

Well plugging it into BS2 with 4lbs of wheat DME in place of the two you listed,I got;
American Wheat or Rye Beer
Est OG-1.031 Range 1.040-1.055
Est FG-1.008
Bitterness-7.7IBU
Color-5.5SRM Range 3-6SRM
Est ABV-3% Range 4%-5.5%
So OG,bitterness,& ABV are below range for the style. Color is def within range. BS2 doesn't list grapefruit zest.

Black witbier sounds good to me lol. I may just make a dark American wheat and up the og. I still have a lot to learn. Should start reading.more recipes to understand it better.

I'll save what I have listed above in BS2 just in case you wanna work on it further sometime. The color is within range of American Wheat,so it's not very dark at all with the current amounts. Just needs OG,bitterness,& ABV brought UP into range.

I was using brewr on my phone to work it out. I really need to get bs2 on my computer. What would you suggest to up og?

My first thought is to add more wheat DME. But that's 8 SRM. What I had to do to lighten color was to use 3lbs extra light DME,which is 3 SRM. So what I have now is;
American Wheat or Rye Beer
Est OG-1.048 Range 1.040-1.055
Est FG-1.012
Bitterness-18.8 IBU Range 15-30 IBU
Color-4.9 SRM range 3-6 SRM
Est ABV-4.7% Range 4%-5.5% ABV
3lbs Extra Light DME (in the boil)
2lb,8oz Wheat DME (Flame Out)
1oz East Kent Golding pellet hops 60 minutes
Corriander seed .8oz crushed last 5 minutes
.5 oz sweet orange peel (zest) last 5 minutes
*(new add) Wyeast 3944,Belgian Witbeir yeast
You didn't mention what yeast?...

Wyeast 3944, I used it for BMs blue balls.recipe, which is.done and getting.ready to bottle tonight. I was going to wash the yeast so I can use it again, since its summer time and lighter beers go better now

Back