Keezer Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamster

Reaction score
I am in the process of making a keezer. I was thinking of putting a sheet of 1/4 inch plywood on the lid. Has anyone done this before? Thought it would give it a nice look as well as reinforce the lid if items do get set on it. As far as attaching it i was think of something like liquid nails. any thoughts or suggestions?

I've done it... I didnt use Plywood because it is very pitted and often inconsistent with the grain... I used Birch then routed it, sanded it, and then cleared over it with poly.

28207_604674231219_7068762_n.jpg

I secured it with Screws and liquid nails. Just make sure the screws you do use are long enough to bite into the metal of the Keezer, but not so long that they protrude through the plastic insulation barrier.

Is that half inch birch? Do the hinges do ok with the weight?

This was 1/2 in birch and I can tell you that it is a bit scary with all that weight on that top... The hinges handle it fine, however I can tell you that if you shut your top too quickly, the keg taps on mine will open if they have large wood taps on them (you will notice that i have small taps on it to prevent that)

It is heavy though... Trust me when i say that...

I will see if I can get 1/4 inch to help that out. I will be putting my taps on a collar so it should be to much of an issue. Thanks for all the info!!

I used 1/4 on the inside and outside of the lid and liquid nails the countertop on.
It is heavy but I found some used gas struts (from truck toppers) to help lift and hold weight.

image-2960147928.jpg

image-622863525.jpg

I was planning just on the top. The freezer I have is pretty dented and covering it was the main concern. I will try it out with a scrap piece of wood clamped to the top to see how much it would effect it. I also plan on having the collar be attach to the body of the keezer. So that weight won't be an issue.

Has anyone ever tried reinforcing the lid by putting .25 inch plywood underneath the keezer lid?

Yeah I was thinking instead of on top I would take apart the lid and place a sheet of plywood underneath the sheet of metal and glue it to secure it. Then put back the insulation and plastic bottom. Since the top is already dented a little I figured this would prevent some further denting and gain support remain hidden as well.

Yeah I was thinking instead of on top I would take apart the lid and place a sheet of plywood underneath the sheet of metal and glue it to secure it. Then put back the insulation and plastic bottom. Since the top is already dented a little I figured this would prevent some further denting and gain support remain hidden as well.

I ran furing strips to the inside then added 1/4 ply over the top outside.

Back