Question on storing bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikelush78

Reaction score
Hello,

New to brewing and loving it so far. My first batch I will be bottling tonight and just wondering on a few things.

I have the process down for bottling but my question is after the 2 weeks of conditioning in the basement in cases, I have an old coke machine I use for my beer machine. the bottles lay on their side... is that going to be a problem with sediment?

I really want to be able to use my coke machine that I already have but not sure if it will work out.. Thoughts?

3 weeks @ 70F+ is the usual time & temp for carbing & conditioning bottled beers. Laying them on their side in the machine will make the yeast trub get stirred up & go into your glass.

^ What he said. And also take a look at Revvy's Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning

If you keep them at a temp less than 70, you'll find they carb & condition slower. In any case, if you taste one and it doesn't seem quite right, just wait longer :mug:

If they're downstairs below 70 bring them upstairs for 3 weeks. As to using a coke machine, as cool as it is, since these beers have sediment in the bottom, laying them on their side will probably lead to cloudy beer, UNLESS POSSIBLY they are cold enough for the yeast to flocculate downward, and you leave them there a minimum of 1 month to let the yeast that does form on the lower part of the bottle to compact and not move when you upend it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. That is what I was afraid of. Looks like coke machine will not work for the Home Brews I make. I am planning on going the keg route at some point but with 2 kids in daycare (that eats up $2000 a month :( that will have to wait for a while.

I am planning on brewing another Extract beer (though I would do a few extract before going to all grain) and I want to brew a German Hefeweizen. Any suggestion on a good recipe?

Back