Homemade Ceramic Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grolsch will be disappointed to hear that!
I thought about Grolsch LONG before I posted that, but what do you think their shelf life is? Do you think they want bottles out for 2-3 months in the light?

From my post above you might think I meant they are only good for a few days. That obviously isn't true, but the first time I reused swing tops(I think Grolsch), I sealed with the stopper and they were flat 6 months later. Not sure at what point in between they went flat. The capped bottles were fine. There may have been some other deviance in the process, but I don't think so.

I've found the swing tops to be very inconsistant. Grolsch/Fisher seem in my usage to work about 90% of the time, with the EZ-Cap working about 30-40%. I think the Ceramic tops on the commercial ones seal better than the plastic ones that EZ-Cap uses. I had some Cider that was over 2 years old that was perfectly carbed, but other bottles didn't ever carb up. It's just really hit and miss with them. When I first started I bought 4 cases of the EZ bottles, one got lost in the move and the other 3 are only used for Cider so if it is flat no real big deal. Now that I started Kegging I will probably just use them to fill a few to take somewhere from the keg.

I would think it would be really hard to get a good enough opening to seal really great on a home-made bottle. The gaskets aren't real flexible so if it isn't close to perfect I could see a problem with it sealing correctly.

That being said, the bottle are really cool looking, and would be awesome if you could get them to work.

There is a trade off when using flip tops of any kind. Easier to cap your bottles when bottling, but more maintenance before you bottle. If the gaskets are worn, dry, or dirty (on either side), there WILL be problems. If you aren't removing the gasket to inspect and clean, expect to have a few fizz out. When I first started using them I just cleaned and inspected them (brief look) while on the bottle and always had 4-6 per batch that lost carbonation. Once I began removing them to clean thoroughly and truly inspect, I cant remember even one loosing carbonation. For the record, I bottle nearly all my holiday type beers in flip top that sit for 9-12 months before consuming, and have yet had one fail (just found some wood to knock on...).

I have noticed that with most store bought flip top style bottles that the gaskets tend to be glued to the lid so that there is only a possible leak on one side.

so the bigger question is this: why did one bottle hold carbonation well and cause the beer to fizz out of the top when opened while the other bottles didn't hold carbonation at all?

My guess is that there is some variation to how tight the lids are being held down because there are slight differences in how far down the holes are that hold the entire mechanism to the bottle. I can tweak the metal wire in order to get a tighter or looser fit and on the next batch I might make sure all the caps flip on much tighter in order to hopefully seal better. Any thoughts?
Also revvy had mentioned pressure testing the bottles before hand in order to see if they would stand up to the pressure of carbonation. Does anybody know of a way to do this, preferably safely? Because it would be handy on my next batch of bottles.

My guess is that there is some variation to how tight the lids are being held down because there are slight differences in how far down the holes are that hold the entire mechanism to the bottle. I can tweak the metal wire in order to get a tighter or looser fit and on the next batch I might make sure all the caps flip on much tighter in order to hopefully seal better. Any thoughts?
Also revvy had mentioned pressure testing the bottles before hand in order to see if they would stand up to the pressure of carbonation. Does anybody know of a way to do this, preferably safely? Because it would be handy on my next batch of bottles.

before freaking too much about one bottle that did not carb, didn't you mention your basing this off the word of a roommates friend? Obviously he doesn't have respect for other peoples things, but does he have the knowledge of beer needed to even worry about what his opinion is?

Very un-scientific way, but you could always put a few alka-seltzer, or just vinegar & baking soda in them and cap them. No clue on the amount of pressure that would build, but it would at least prove they are air tight before wasting beer.

@Irish Red- I am basing it on the word of a roommates friend so yes it is taken with a grain of salt, however I do know that the individual would notice if it was as carbonated as he is a beer drinker. Also I know that the beer in other bottles, glass as well as the one jug, was quite bubbly and made quite a bit of foam, so my guess is that he would have hopefully noticed. So I am guessing that it is very possible it could have been flat. And not necessarily freaking out, just thinking of ways that could ensure a better seal :mug:

@JeepDiver- I like that idea at least for testing if any gases are leaking out. Perhaps I will try this and put the bottle underwater and inspect for bubbles. However it would also be nice to see what kind of pressure the bottles could withstand.

THere is a device for muzzleloaders that uses a CO2 cartridge to eject an un-fired load. It just threads in. Drilling a plastic top, gluing a fitting into it, then attaching the item would not be too difficult and should provide a reasonably consistent pressure from bottle to bottle. I think there is a similar device for kegging.

Of course, you could do the same thing with a normal air compressor and step up the regulator slowly.

The first mug I made was put in a kiln next to some other students final project, an ornate castle about 2'X2'X2'. I made the walls too thick and the pressure of the heated water fractured the ceramic mug and sent pieces through the kiln at high velocity. The castle was ravaged with pieces going straight through it. I highly recommend a video camera or at least eye protection if you really want to test it.

Sorry to hear of your ravaged castle, you definitely have to give thicker pieces a good time to fully dry in order to fire them. And I agree of using some kind of safety shield if I did rig up a way to pressure test them.

... I suppose this first bottling if they hold carbonation will be the test. I don't imagine them having a problem, however I don't have a lot of experience with brewing and carbonating.

Ceramics are pretty tough. It they survive the kiln and cooling off, they are pretty strong. Even a good potter probably throws thicker than a standard glass bottle.

I wonder, ,,,,get an average yield strength for common ceramics and model it in Solidworks?

Have you considered slip casting and copying one you really like?

Have you considered slip casting and copying one you really like?

This is my next project, I am working on making the molds for two pieces this weekend. However I will continue to throw them as well. In seven weeks or so I will be doing a wood fire with all my new work. My plan is to make multiple matching bottles with a nice case to go with them, of course with slight variations from the wood firing.

This is my next project, I am working on making the molds for two pieces this weekend. However I will continue to throw them as well. In seven weeks or so I will be doing a wood fire with all my new work. My plan is to make multiple matching bottles with a nice case to go with them, of course with slight variations from the wood firing.

Your bottles are really beautiful.

It's been decades since I threw anything.

Thank you very much, I enjoy making them and am excited with the possibilities.

With everyone of your updates the temptation to clear away a decade of dust and search out a clay source grows.

I have never done slip molds. Seems perfect though.

Those look awesome. I found a bottle capper at a second hand shop the other day along with caps and some longnecks. To see if the capper worked properly I got some bi-carb soda and vinegar mixed them in the bottle and sealed it up. I the. Submerged the bottle in water to a check for leaks and all was well. Would this work for your ceramics? Is what I did at all an indication that the bottles are sealed properly?

I'm sure it is a fine check, however trying to regulate to amount of pressure is the problem. You want enough to verify the seal, but not enough to potentially cause shards of glass or ceramics flying.

quick update-

Just heard from my girlfriends cousin that the bottle I gave him for Christmas was in fact carbonated when he opened it. That makes 2/3, still haven't heard from my her brother if he's opened his or not.

As for more bottles, I have probably around 20 more ready for a planned wood fire, I ended up only throwing them and haven't gotten around to trying to slipcast any, perhaps after this next firing. I was also thinking of making some belgian type bottles for corks and cages, however I don't have any experience with them, might have to research it a little and try to get my hands on one.

This is cool. My wife's a potter -actually graduating with her dual BFA in printmaking and ceramics this fall.

Her teacher actually homebrews, so I wonder if he's ever tried anything like this.

So excited I found this thread. I was going to test this with my first batch (simple unhopped braggot). That way if they blew up or something went wrong I wouldn't lose anything special.

Have you thought about using corks & cages?

Did you have any more problems with the beer leaking or forcing its way out?

@BoxMan- I'm glad you found the thread. I have definitely been thinking about using corks and cages recently, I think that they could look really good with some of the bottle's I have been making.
I haven't had a chance to bottle in any more recently. I am doing a wood firing this saturday and I have a batch in the primary that will need to be bottled in about 2 weeks, so that will be my next test batch with the new bottles, I will definitely take photos and try and report any new findings.

I was thinking you should glaze inside them.

http://www.mrbottles.com/galleryClayBeers.asp

Stoneware bottles were made by hand, mostly turned on a potter’s wheel using imported clay. Some were made in plaster molds. Wet liquid clay, about the consistency of syrup, was poured into a mold. The plaster absorbed the moisture at the point of contact with the mold creating solid walls. The remaining liquid was pored out and when the mold was opened the bottle was formed. The formed bottles were then glazed on the inside only with an Albany slip glaze, and then were side stamped with the proprietor’s name or the business name.

http://www.mrbottles.com/newsDetail.asp?ID=36

I should go take a class again to have access to the equipment.

@Dynachrome- The insides are definitely glazed. I think the one that seeped ended up having a spot missed on the inside.

Update-

I know it has been a little while, I have just gotten a large batch of bottles out of a recent wood firing that I am pretty excited about. I will update more, with many more pictures. Here is a quick shot I took after the first test corking to see the fit I think I need to set the cork depth a little deeper, sorry for the bad quality. More updates soon to come.

subscribing. Love the artwork and soon-to-be functionality of these. Keep up the good work!

Quick Update-

Just bottled tonight, and am testing out 7 of the new wood fired bottles. I will add better photos later and of more bottles. Also I will update the status of the bottled ones.

Seven filled test bottles.

Close up of porcelain bottle.

So jealous you can make these. I'd love to buy or trade for a few if you ever start to go that route, just PM me :)

Back