A good Fermenting Temp Schedule for a Kolsch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan11

Reaction score
What is a good fermenting temperature schedule for a kolsch? I will be using Wyeast 2565 W/ a large yeast starter and this is what I have so far.

Primary at 58-62F
Diacytle rest at 68F for 2-3 days
Transfer to secondary and lager at 34F for 4-6 weeks.

Yep looks good, although I'm not sure a diacytle rest is entirely necessary. Keep in mind that the krausen may never drop so you'll have to rack from beneath it.

2565 is not a lager yeast, so I wouldn't recommend "lagering" it. This is a top-cropping ale yeast, and will produce something more like a pseudo-kolsch when fermented low. Flocculation is also low, so more time than usual in the primary/secondary is required.

55-63 F actual wort temperature is your answer for best results, but you could feasibly go up to 70 F if more fruitiness is desired. It has low or no detectable diacetyl production so a diacetyl rest isn't necessary.

I understand its not a lager yeast. Its a hybrid. So it's good to have a "lagering" process for a Kolsch of at least 3 weeks to help clean it up giving it lager characteristics. Also, if you're brewing to style never ferment at 70 F for more fruitiness. Any fruitiness in this beer should be very subtle. I agree with you on the D-rest but I have heard it produces a little diacytle and I have temp control so why not do a D-rest.

58-60F actual fermenting temperature (thermowell) will produce very fine results with 2565. Just be patient it can take 3 weeks. I recently brewed Kolsch with 2575 (Kolsch II platinum strain) and fermented it at 60F as close as possible. Its lagering right now, but a gravity sample tasted really clean! 2565 is my favorite by the way out of all three in this order (2565, 2575, WL029).
This was my first time using thermowell and results are incredible so far with any beer. I used to ferment all my brews in tub of water where submerged carboy sits and monitor temperature of surrounding water. With thermowell I found out that there is 2-3F difference between surrounding water and thermowell readings. I made atleast 5 batches of Kolsch in a past but this one is best to date. Good luck!

Yep looks good, although I'm not sure a diacytle rest is entirely necessary. Keep in mind that the krausen may never drop so you'll have to rack from beneath it.

+1 the Krausen didn't fall for me in the past either and I would skip the diacytle rest as well. I've brewed 2 Kolsch batches that both turned out great with 2565 and I've even brewed a blonde with the same yeast that was great. Good Luck!

I understand its not a lager yeast. Its a hybrid. So it's good to have a "lagering" process for a Kolsch of at least 3 weeks to help clean it up giving it lager characteristics. Also, if you're brewing to style never ferment at 70 F for more fruitiness. Any fruitiness in this beer should be very subtle. I agree with you on the D-rest but I have heard it produces a little diacytle and I have temp control so why not do a D-rest.

I follow the 3-4 week primary to bottle time frame for all of my ales and I wouldn't call that technique "lagering". Little to no diacetyl is what I have read from numerous sources, as well as possibly letting fermentation temps rise to 70 F if you want to push the fruitiness for the sake of being untraditional.

Doesn't lagering mean storing your beer at near freezing temperatures for weeks or even months?

Doesn't lagering mean storing your beer at near freezing temperatures for weeks or even months?

Essentially, yes. However you'd be fine if you stuck it at 34° for as little as 3 weeks. Kolsch isn't a true lager beer so you don't need to "lager it", just store it as cold as you can for a few weeks. I cold conditioned mine at 45° for 3 weeks and it turned out fantastic.

Right weeks or even months but being a Kolsch I would only do about 4 weeks of lagering. I do agree that at least 3 weeks would be fine.

Lagering, extended cold crashing, we're saying basically the same thing: bring the beer down to a temp just above freezing and store it for a period of time in order to clear it. I've never had krausen NOT fall when cold storing the beer, but then again I cold crash the primary and "lager" in kegs. It may depend on how long you leave it in primary. I see no reason to rush it out of there.

A Koelsch is a lagered ale (although some Germans would disagree with that definition, since they don't differentiate between lagers and ales as much as top- and bottom-fermented beers).
It's a finicky yeast and a very delicate style - It's very difficult to create an authentic Koelsch without lagering it for at least 2-3 weeks.

Lagering, extended cold crashing, we're saying basically the same thing: bring the beer down to a temp just above freezing and store it for a period of time in order to clear it. I've never had krausen NOT fall when cold storing the beer, but then again I cold crash the primary and "lager" in kegs. It may depend on how long you leave it in primary. I see no reason to rush it out of there.

Exactly, I think we are talking about the same thing. Just because it isn't a true lager doesn't mean you have to call it cold conditioning. It's still essentially the technique of lagering.

I'd give it as much time as it needs in primary, then cold crash and either leave it there or rack to secondary and put it back in the cold. Either way, time at cold temps clears beer.

I brewed my first Kolsch two weeks ago and was planning to rack to a secondary this weekend, and start the cold crash/lagering late next week.

How does one determine "as much time as it needs in the primary". I have heard that at times the Krausen will not drop with a Kolsch, so what am I looking for in the primary to know it is ready? Steady gravity readings?

I did not do enough research up front on this one as I did not even know about the extended lagering (or cold conditioning) period. Luckily my pipeline is pretty full right now and I have a chest freezer with a temp control so I can accomodate that right now with minimal impact, I just didn't realize it until today.

How does bottle carbing / conditioning differ for a Kolsch? Will I still bottle and carb at room temp., as I would with any other ale?

am I looking for in the primary to know it is ready? Steady gravity readings?

How does bottle carbing / conditioning differ for a Kolsch? Will I still bottle and carb at room temp., as I would with any other ale?

Yes Steady Gravity reading.

I usually bottle at whatever temp i'm keeping the beer at in secondary and warming up to room temp to carb would be fine or you can leave it colder and it will still carb up but take a bit longer is all.

I just kegged my 4th batch of Kolsch about a month ago and it is sitting on CO2 and will be there for a few more weeks before i tap it.

Longer and colder with kolsch seems best good luck!

Latest posts

Back