Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zoomed in dusty pellicle on an "American Wild" that got a slurry of sour dregs. At a year old it still has a pretty nice hop aroma from a Zythos FO addition.

beautiful!

thanks for the hi-res - now my desktop wallpaper. can't wait to gross out a workmate :)

your image was originally linked to a Gmail attachment. i'm guessing you used the laptop to get the attachment, so it was cached on that machine.

Here's a couple pics of my most recent attempt at what old saisons would taste like. It's pils and spelt with aged leaf hops and some serebrianka to 20ibus with a starting gravity at 1.037.

For size reference sake that's a 16 gal Speidel fermentor. The little brown blocks in the top down picture are small "Innerstave" oak additives and they're about 4" long for additional size reference compared to that mother of a snot bubble.

IMG_20130523_113407.jpg

IMG_20130523_113635.jpg

Here's a couple pics of my most recent attempt at what old saisons would taste like. It's pils and spelt with aged leaf hops and some serebrianka to 20ibus with a starting gravity at 1.037.

For size reference sake that's a 16 gal Speidel fermentor. The little brown blocks in the top down picture are small "Innerstave" oak additives and they're about 4" long for additional size reference compared to that mother of a snot bubble.

Very cool.

It's been a dream of mine to post here. I finally have a good pellicle photo to share. This is AmandaK's lambic recipe at 1.5 months in bucket. I then transferred to carboy for the long haul.

image.jpg

IDK. At first I thought that's just how the old shop floor looks when I use a flash. However it was in the back of our fermentation chamber for a year as we tried to not disturb it, so there probably is other brews spilled around it. I don't think this batch blew-off. I'll make my assistant clean the floor again before we brew again.

Here is my Kriek after 18moz, 8lbs of cherries sitting underneath that pellicle. This is a house sour culture that came from one of my Blue Spruce trees in the side yard.

20130526_105519.jpg

Wow, I guess you really have to be into this to find those good looking! I actually want to get into sours, what is the easiest way to go? I do Belgians, but not anything with bacterias or wild yeasts. I, of course realize you need specific equipment post pitching.

meltroha said:
Wow, I guess you really have to be into this to find those good looking! I actually want to get into sours, what is the easiest way to go? I do Belgians, but not anything with bacterias or wild yeasts. I, of course realize you need specific equipment post pitching.

Get a hdpe food grade bucket and lid and an airlock just for this bucket only. Then get a vial or two of white labs 644 and build a starter, take your favorite recipe that doesn't have a lot of astringent roasted malts and potentially add some adjuncts too even out the body because Brett can attenuate very well. And there you go you have a Brett beer not exactly a sour beer.

Can you use the same bucket for different wild yeasts? I recently had a Jolly Pumpkin Bam Bier, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

meltroha said:
Can you use the same bucket for different wild yeasts? I recently had a Jolly Pumpkin Bam Bier, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ya, tht should be fine unless you get anal about pure solo strains. Just don't use it for "clean" beers and expect it to never pick anything up.

Brew a basic belgian style beer you enjoy, saison, blonde, strong golden, whatever. When the primary is done, rack it over to a carboy, drink a Bam, pitch the bottle slurry, wait a few months, and enjoy. Jolly Pumpkin's house culture has a good reputation for making a tasty sour homebrew without having to wait very long.

First photo is the first batch of AmandaK's lambic. The rest are the second batch made from the cake of the first.

photo.jpg

photo (1).jpg

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

Zippox said:
First photo is the first batch of AmandaK's lambic. The rest are the second batch made from the cake of the first.

The cake is strong in this one, that's awesome to see the growth of things second time around

Holy pellicle Brewman! Sacred sour? Just unfocus your eyes a little when looking at pics 2 & 3. Looks more like St. Francis with with pellicular rays of something emanating from him!

Back