Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is absolutely stunning the difference between a higher water:rice ratio and a 1:1 ratio. Completely different product. Same rice, same pitch rate, so sweet and fragrant as opposed to super tart and dry. Today made a batch with 2 parts sweet rice, 1 part basmati, and a small amount of forbidden rice for color. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

I was talking with my son about this today (he's 33 now and there was a time when he could TASTE but not DRINK the final product, no drunken children allowed). The lower the water to rice ratio the more sugar will be left when the alcohol content disables the yeast.

I'm going to try this. I usually add some water on the second day. What I get is sweet and tart that way.

Here was my latest take. These 2 batches were done with the Chinese yeast balls with sticky rice. Both fermented at an average temp of about 75 and in mostly darkness. I used the set and forget method. They came out slightly solvent like in the nose, but the flavor is great. The red rice yeast batch does has a fruit like character. If I compared these batches with the sweet/sticky rice to my first batch with jasmine rice, I would have to say hands down the jasmine has a better aroma, but the flavors are comparable.

IMG_20130508_205434_228.jpg

IMG_20130508_205522_758.jpg

IMG_20130508_205550_379.jpg

IMG_20130508_214011_749.jpg

The first 2 pics from the last post show the top of the rice before harvest. The pics on this post are right before harvest also.

IMG_20130508_205434_228.jpg

IMG_20130508_205447_165.jpg

IMG_20130508_205454_985.jpg

Pretty sure I ordered some yeast balls from you, if youre the one with the ebay listing...haha..small world..Hopefully, if they get in today, I will start on my first batch!

Yup that's me...thanks for the business. I shipped it within hours of your order and threw in some freebies too. This wine is some really great stuff, please post your results and pics as you go through. Happy brewing!

I need to take back what I said about RYR being able to take the lion's share of the work making the wine. Over a week ago I made a batch with only RYR, and result was very consistent with what others have found here. There needs to be at least a bit of yeast or rice leaven with the batch to ferment properly. My rice sat for over a week with the fungus growing on it slowly without getting a lot done. I've added some Angel in hopes that I can recover this batch. There was no sign of other bugs growing on the rice, so hopefully it will pick up soon and finish the job.

I need to take back what I said about RYR being able to take the lion's share of the work making the wine. Over a week ago I made a batch with only RYR, and result was very consistent with what others have found here. There needs to be at least a bit of yeast or rice leaven with the batch to ferment properly. My rice sat for over a week with the fungus growing on it slowly without getting a lot done. I've added some Angel in hopes that I can recover this batch. There was no sign of other bugs growing on the rice, so hopefully it will pick up soon and finish the job.
My RYR batches all came out very fruity, not the least bit tangy. So I think the RYR interferes with acetobacter growth. That should give you a bit more time then you would otherwise have.

Yup that's me...thanks for the business. I shipped it within hours of your order and threw in some freebies too. This wine is some really great stuff, please post your results and pics as you go through. Happy brewing!

Thank you! I cant wait to get them! I went to the post office today, and there was a box key for an oversized box....I got my hopes up, only to have them crushed by the full weight of a King's Architectural Metals catalog...haha..maybe tomorrow!

Thanks again!
This thread is awesome, and im definitely gonna post my first batch :ban:

My RYR batches all came out very fruity, not the least bit tangy. So I think the RYR interferes with acetobacter growth. That should give you a bit more time then you would otherwise have.

if I'm not mistaken ryr has already been consumed by the mold on it

winewitted said:

It seems like it mostly has been, but when put with some virgin rice, it will grow mycelium.

Just harvasted my 2nd batch that set for 29 days this one had ryr and yeast balls. very strong and i now see where everyone is getting sweet and fruity. if i were to have tried this and knew nothing about it id thought it to be a fruit wine.

On mobile so I can't really search the thread but should these be covered and out of the light or does it not matter?

Perhaps I have misunderstood you. It seems to me you are saying that the mold in a normal batch of red rice wine with both rice yeast balls and RYR would consume the RYR. I do not believe that is the case. Picture 1 is a batch of normal red rice wine and a oolong tea rice wine right after they have been mixed. Picture 2 is the same batches after 21 days.

redriceyeastandoolong.jpg

redriceyeastandoolong4.JPG

A while back I saw a chart that broke down how much ABV as the days progressed (an estimation of course). Since then I've been unable to relocate it. Does anyone here know what I'm talking about and can send me a link or share the image?

I should have bookmarked that thing...

I'm just wondering because I had to go out of town unexpectedly and I'm going on 5 weeks in the jar.

Whats the longest anyone's let it sit?

Cheers all!

BTW - Shared 3 liters of this stuff already. It doesn't get old! WOOOOOH!

33 days. If you don't have either Lactobacillus or Acetobacter in it you could probably go longer. There is, of course, risk involved that if you do have them it can be sour (Lacto) or Vinegarish (Aceto). I like mine a little sour ar at least a little bit less sweet. I've been wondering if I moved it to secondary, repitched a crushed ball, and diluted a bit if I could dry it out a bit more but I haven't tried it yet.

I just started my first batch yesterday, and I pulled the lid off to give it a whiff after about 8 hours. It had a fairly sweet, but slightly off, smell to it....almost like a very slight hint of a yeasty dirty foot in there..haha.....is this a normal smell?

[edit]
Also, has anyone ever added water to their primary? Not much, maybe like a bottle of water for a batch of about 3 cups (dry) of rice...I know most sake is cut slightly, so would this be a similar effect, or screw everything up?

Perhaps I have misunderstood you. It seems to me you are saying that the mold in a normal batch of red rice wine with both rice yeast balls and RYR would consume the RYR. I do not believe that is the case. Picture 1 is a batch of normal red rice wine and a oolong tea rice wine right after they have been mixed. Picture 2 is the same batches after 21 days.

no what I was saying is that the reason you don't get much of a reaction from just the ryr alone is that there is not much left to be consumed by anything.

I just started my first batch yesterday, and I pulled the lid off to give it a whiff after about 8 hours. It had a fairly sweet, but slightly off, smell to it....almost like a very slight hint of a yeasty dirty foot in there..haha.....is this a normal smell?

[edit]
Also, has anyone ever added water to their primary? Not much, maybe like a bottle of water for a batch of about 3 cups (dry) of rice...I know most sake is cut slightly, so would this be a similar effect, or screw everything up?

Yeasty dirty foot is an odd description, but given the fact it is your first batch, I would just roll with it and keep that lid closed. The biggest thing I have found with this stuff is set and forget it.

If you read through the thread, the water to rice ratio has been discussed. It seems cooking the rice with a 1:1 to 1:25 ratio has produced wine with a sweeter taste. If you up the ratio, it seems to get more sour. I would not add excess water until fermentation is done and you have strained it.

[edit]
I named my most recent beer this.

I did a quasi write up on my experience with this first batch. Its nothin special, but if you got a chance, give it a look!

Here's the link

Nice write up and thanks very much for the awesome eBay referral! Glad you are satisfied with the purchase and looking forward to reading more as your batch progresses. It already has a fan following on this thread!

I made some oat tea today. It's surprisingly good. I was thinking it would mix well with rice wine.

Oat tea?....My curiosity might be a little off topic...but...what is oat tea?..and to get it back on topic, what do you project it would do to Sake?

I started a coconut vanilla batch tonight...idk what its gonna do though, cuz ive yet to harvest my first batch..haha I think im gonna get a green tea-sake batch rollin soon...lived in japan for a few months as a missionary, and ocha holds a special place in my heart

Oat tea?....My curiosity might be a little off topic...but...what is oat tea?..and to get it back on topic, what do you project it would do to Sake?

I started a coconut vanilla batch tonight...idk what its gonna do though, cuz ive yet to harvest my first batch..haha I think im gonna get a green tea-sake batch rollin soon...lived in japan for a few months as a missionary, and ocha holds a special place in my heart
1 quart warm water
1 tbs lime zest
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar

Mix everything up, fully dissolving the sugar. Let it sit on the counter for a 2-3 hours. Stir, then pour the liquid off through a strainer. That is oat tea. I think it has another name in South America, but I can't remember it.

It's sweet, and has a definite "oat" flavor. It probably wouldn't be good with red rice wine, to fruity, but it should be nice with regular rice wine. If the wine isn't that good, it would probably mask most of the deficiencies in it.

So, as I brewed a batch of beer tonight, me and my brewing buddy experimented with some different flavors on the rice wine. We tried pineapple, peach, & apple. My buddies girl was over and said the pineapple juice from the can mixed with the rice wine tasted like Malibu rum. Me and my buddy got creative and decided to do some apple juice concentrate with cinnamon and some bourbon extracted vanilla. It tasted somewhere between boozy apple jacks and spiced cider. Really good. We are gonna try some other fruits, and will report back. I thought the vanilla & cinnamon would compliment similar to rice pudding. Anybody else have any good ideas with flavoring other than the previously mentioned blueberry and pomegranate?

So, as I brewed a batch of beer tonight, me and my brewing buddy experimented with some different flavors on the rice wine. We tried pineapple, peach, & apple. My buddies girl was over and said the pineapple juice from the can mixed with the rice wine tasted like Malibu rum. Me and my buddy got creative and decided to do some apple juice concentrate with cinnamon and some bourbon extracted vanilla. It tasted somewhere between boozy apple jacks and spiced cider. Really good. We are gonna try some other fruits, and will report back. It thought the vanilla & cinnamon would compliment similar to rice pudding. Anybody else have any good ideas with flavoring other than the previously mentioned blueberry and pomegranate?

Apple cinnamon sounds pretty dang awesome.

Has anyone dry hopped this stuff yet?..or maybe cooking hops into the rice??...im not savvy on hops, but arent there some that are very floral, and not so bitter? I got a batch of the Sake goin where I cooked the rice with vanilla and coconut...idk how it will be though.....fresh banana or strawberry cooked into the rice, might be worth a shot?? pumpkin?? haha...but seriously...pumpkin maybe?

So I'm a little behind on posting from my first batch, but 3 batches later....

This batch was 10 cups of sticky rice with 3 yeast balls. I let it sit a total of 4 weeks because I ended up going out of town towards the end. Sweet as the first batch, just as smooth in the mouth but with considerably more burn on the way down. Nice and strong this batch is!

I've tried both "cold crashed" and unadulterated versions and I prefer the mouth feel of the latter.

Both 1 liters are full and that's a 24 oz mason jar.

rice wine shot.jpg

rice wine result.jpg

Good looking take from that batch. Have you used jasmine rice & sticky rice? I found the sticky rise to be less floral and more fusel alcohols. Wondering if you noticed any difference.

Apple cinnamon sounds pretty dang awesome.

Has anyone dry hopped this stuff yet?..or maybe cooking hops into the rice??...im not savvy on hops, but arent there some that are very floral, and not so bitter? I got a batch of the Sake goin where I cooked the rice with vanilla and coconut...idk how it will be though.....fresh banana or strawberry cooked into the rice, might be worth a shot?? pumpkin?? haha...but seriously...pumpkin maybe?

I dry hopped it with Citra and also flavored with grapefruit, it was great and didnt last very long.

Good looking take from that batch. Have you used jasmine rice & sticky rice? I found the sticky rise to be less floral and more fusel alcohols. Wondering if you noticed any difference.

I never tried with the jasmine. At home we always eat jasmine rice with dinner and the sticky rice is used for dessert. My family's always made the dessert with this stuff, letting sit for up to a week and topping with sesame seeds and sweetened coconut milk or coconut cream. If I only made the connection sooner...

Anyway I digress... I know people have been making it with jasmine, but it never appealed to me because that's just dinner to me. The sticky rice made more sense because of the sugar content.

Back