Under 5 Gallons After Boil and Weird Stuff Floating Around

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soilworker

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I just did my first extract brew (well I did one about 3 years ago but this is the first one since then) and I have some concerns. I'm making the extract White House Honey Ale kit from Northern Brewer with specialty grains.

I started with 6.2 gallons of water but due to boil off i actually ended up around 4-4.5 gallons. My OG was 1.065 and I was targeting 1.062 but I'll attribute the higher OG to the boil off. I'm worried that after I rack off the trub I'll only have about 3 gallons of beer. Should I still rack to secondary or just bottle after 2-3 weeks in primary? Is the low volume something to be worried about?

I'm also worried about all the junk that ended up in the carboy. During the boil I noticed a lot of chunks floating around after I added the DME, LME, and hops and now its all settled in the carboy. I'm also worried I steeped the specialty grains incorrectly and maybe that's causing it. The instructions said to leave them in until the temp reached 175F. so I did that but they seemed mushy and I'm worried I just got unconverted starches and those are just floating around now.

Thoughts? Will it still turn out OK. Everything else seemed to go pretty well.

It'll all settle out fine. Why are you planning to rack before bottling? Unless you plan to add additional fermentables (fruit, etc...) no need for secondary.

I just heard that secondary was necessary for the beer to finish up properly and clear nicely. Thanks for the response.

You don't need to rack to secondary to clear the beer. But you can if you want. It's up to personal preference,really. I don't rack to secondary unless oaking or something. Sounds like you had the heat to high & got to hard of a boil to boil off that much liquid. Turn the boil down a little to where it's rolling,but not too aggressively. I did that,& only boil off about 1/2 gallon over a 1 hour boil. You basically want to have 5 to 5.5 gallons left at the end of the boil for a 5 gallon batch on a full boil.

Back