Any brewing Firefighters out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donzi79

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just seeing who out else out there does the job, and like to hear about where you're from. I've got 10 years on at Royal Oak FD, MI Local 431. Suburb of Detroit about 55K in population, 54 full-time FF's 3 stations. We provide ALS too, and do about 6K runs a year.

Felt like one yesterday while brewing. Had to stop and run over with extinguisher because my neighbor's grass was on fire.

Sac City Volunteer FD. Will have two years on in August, just completed my HAZMAT Operations and FF1 classes, waiting on test results now; going to test FF2 later this spring.

We're fire and rescue only - no First Response/EMS, as there's a paid ALS ambulance less than 1/2 mile from our station. Our district is centered in Sac City, which is a population of 2k, but our protection district extends for roughly 10 miles in all directions from there - the first call I responded to was a 13 mile drive just to get to the scene.

In the 20 months I've been on, we've had a total of three structure fires - one a small chimney fire, one was flirting with a backdraft when our guys got on scene, and one was a mutual aide call to the next district over. We run a lot more crop/grass fires, combine fires, and vehicle extrications. The year I got on, we ran 43 total calls; last year was 23, and 3 full months into this year we just had our 8th call. Which kind of sucks - it's getting to the point the nightly pager test will have you three steps to the door before you remember it's 6:00.

FDNY located within the borough of queens. Been on almost 5 years. Love the job and I love brewing.

Working as a full-timer in a small town called Nelsonville. We are a combination department which means I work the station by myself for 8 hours and if we get a call, I'm backed up by volunteers. Nothing like fighting a structure fire by yourself for eight minutes before someone else comes.

Just got my results in the mail today, passed FF1 and HAZMAT OPS... just need to finish the homework assignment, have chief sign off on the local documentation, and I'll be done with it. And there's a FF2 test in about a month that I could probably sign up for...

Does industrial fire brigade count? We have the same Scott packs and use all the same turnout gear that the municipal guys use. We train to the same level as the municipal departments use but with more emphasis on industrial and large structures instead of house fires. We even invite the local municipalities to our annual live fire training exercises so we can get them accustomed to our needs and expectations. I get hazmat training to the hazwoper level, first aid, CPR, and asbestos training on an annual basis.

If this counts, then I'm in!

Does industrial fire brigade count? We have the same Scott packs and use all the same turnout gear that the municipal guys use. We train to the same level as the municipal departments use but with more emphasis on industrial and large structures instead of house fires. We even invite the local municipalities to our annual live fire training exercises so we can get them accustomed to our needs and expectations. I get hazmat training to the hazwoper level, first aid, CPR, and asbestos training on an annual basis.

If this counts, then I'm in!
Holy sheep dip man.... you have to sit through HAZMAT Operations every year??? We had to do the course for FF1, and halfway through I was seriously contemplating ramming my pen through my temple. 4-hour refresher courses annually from here out... if I had to redo the Operations level class every year....ugh....

Holy sheep dip man.... you have to sit through HAZMAT Operations every year??? We had to do the course for FF1, and halfway through I was seriously contemplating ramming my pen through my temple. 4-hour refresher courses annually from here out... if I had to redo the Operations level class every year....ugh....

I think the original class was either 4 hours or 8. Probably 4. But the annual refresher is 2 hours for us. That includes the test as well.

I think the original class was either 4 hours or 8. Probably 4. But the annual refresher is 2 hours for us. That includes the test as well.
I want to say our class was 12 hours (we covered it over two 8-hour days, but broke it up with a little review of the FF1 materials every now and then), with a 20 question test (given the same time we took our FF1 exam).

Our refreshers have no testing requirement attached.

I am a volunteer with Inter-Canyon Fire Protection District in Colorado. We cover 60 square miles and run 300 - 400 calls a year. I am FFII, HAZMAT Ops, Red Card Wildland Squad Boss, First Responder and former station lieutenant and captain. Been on the department for 13 years this month.

Cheers Brothers! :mug:

FF/paramedic here down in Sarasota, Florida. We run ALS in combination with fire (everyone is at least an EMT/ff). I'd say we run 85% ems and 15% fire

Sorry, typing on my phone. We have 26 stations with career guys and the dept as a whole runs between 40 and 50000 calls a year. Btw I truly love brewing as well.

Im an Ex Captain in the Smithtown FD ( Long Island NY) Engine 4. We do about 3600 calls a year fire and EMS.

Houston TX. 600 sq miles, city avg. 800 calls a day ,4 working fires a day. I drive a ambulance now so brewing helps keep me sane after running on 15 stubbed toes/sick x3 days calls a shift.

I was a volley for five years before Paramedic school. School made me really jazzed about medicine, so I went to work on an ambulance in an urban EMS system. But, every day that passes the call back to the fire service gets stronger.

Career in Montgomery County MD, Local 1664. 34 stations about 1200 career FF's in the system. Annual call load for county is around 120K, this is a fire and EMS combined system.

I was going to start a thread like this. Glad I searched a little further.

Volunteer at Bower Hill VFD, Scott Township Pa. Chief Engineer. My wife is the treasurer and Captain. My mother in law is the Secretary and Safety Officer.

Both my brother in laws are career. One in DC and the other in Maryland.

Back