What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled 5 gallons of my very first home brew beer (in a way I don't count the Mr. Beer I made, not that extract brewing isn't making beer, just, it felt too easy, there was so little effort on my part to make it). 5 gallons of a Scotch Ale under my belt (first home brew was a partial mash, I'm so stupid). Now, for an All-Grain wheat of some sort or another (oh god what am I getting myself into).

Also drinking a delicious local coffee stout in celebration, so I am making sure the local brewing scene stays alive, this is my contribution to beer.

Brewed a smash, but used 2 hops (centennial and chinook). And apparently a bee decided to take a swim during the boil. The pun names for the brew are plentiful.

Poured for the 2nd Annual Visalia Craft Brewfest.

Had a great crowd and I was pouring Goose Island's Sofie and Matilda.

Got to try a few also. Good thing my wife was there to drive! :mug:

Last night I took 4 kegs of my beer to a buddy's blow-out BBQ party. Served 2 at a time through a jockey box. They killed all the Centennial Blonde & APA, so I switched to Strong Saison & IPA... killed half the Saison & 3/4 of the IPA. My favorite moment was a BMC guy who asked, "Mind if I try your brew?" He took a sip, his eyebrows shot up, and he said, "Damn! That's good!"

This morning, I just ordered 2 sets of SS quick disconnects to make using my new pump easier, some silicone tubing for hot liquid transfer, and an SS ball valve to regulate the pump flow (downstream of the pump, of course).

It's been a good weekend!

Got most of the welding done on my single tier brew stand.

Two more locking casters, weld clean up, expanded mesh on the bottom for a shelf, adjustable burner rack, gas plumbing, water plumbing, control panel and black high temp paint... Another couple of weekends and well be ready to brew on this puppy!

image.jpg

Got a dozen or so emptied bottles to clean,take a Fg sample of my Maori IPA,& dry hop it with the remaining .8oz of the 3 flavor hops used. * Well,so much for dry hopping today. First FG @ 3 week mark is 1.011 against est 1.010 & it's still a bit cloudy. Airlock center piece just bottomed out this morning,& tried to start a suckback. So it's almost there...

brewed up the strangest IPA I've ever done and used up a ton of citra, centennial, and simcoe :)

Went to a friend's house and mostly watched him make a 5 gallon batch of rice wine (I crushed the yeast balls) and a 10 gal batch of Centennial Blond.

Had to pop the caps on 4 Stone IPA bottles and a 22oz Hanger 24 IIPA bottle. Tough work...The things I do to drink that sweet nector.

Bought a real nice aluminum C02 at an estate sale on Saturday to have for a spare. Yesterday I built a wooden shelf in the bottom of my keg fridge. Now instead of 1 keg plus tank, I could get 3 kegs plus tank. 4 kegs if I mounted the tank somewhere creatively :rockin:

Finishing up my first all grain, in my new 10 gal mash tun cooler. What I thought, would be an easy brew day, quickly turned out not to be. Found out I really ought to have an extra brew kettle, for strike water. I learned a lot today...

I walked my wife through installing a blow out tube over the phone from work after she texted me that there was a boom that came from my "brewery" (upstairs bathroom closet). I am anxious to get home and make sure my Pale Ale is alright but I also know I am in the dog house for making a mess and scaring her.

I walked my wife through installing a blow out tube over the phone from work after she texted me that there was a boom that came from my "brewery" (upstairs bathroom closet). I am anxious to get home and make sure my Pale Ale is alright but I also know I am in the dog house for making a mess and scaring her.

My wife doesnt brew, but she says almost religiously "did you use a blow off tube? Dont let it kersplode again!"

Kegged a batch of Raging Red Irish Red Ale and bottled the extra six pack; cleaned equipment; washed yeast (Denny's Favorite 50) I saved from a batch of Wry Smile Rye IPA I kegged a few days ago.

Bought a not so mini mini-fridge off craigslist for $30 and ordered an stc-1000 to build a temp controller so I can control my ferment temps in this 80f apartment. The swamp cooler isn't cutting it. Lucky it's a heffe I'm fermenting right now

Bottled what was to be a full batch of saison... until the bottling bucket fell over, dumping ~2 gallons of saison onto the floor. Ugh.

Went to the LHBS and Home Depot. Bought ingredients for the next couple batches, and then picked up and threw together some tubing and copper coil to act as a pre-chiller to supplement my immersion chiller.

Bottled my honey-basil double pale and tried to brew the nb rebel rye again, but the wyeast pack was bunk...AGAIN! 1028 London Ale, my second bad pack...so I said screw it and tossed in a pack of US-05. We'll see how it turns out

Well, I haven't done it yet being I am at work....... but when I get off, sleep, and then wake up I will make a trip to Wal-Mart for 8+ gallons of RO water, Lowe's for a full propane tank, a grinder, some cutting discs, some ice, order a stainless wort chiller, and MAYBE (with SWMBO) order all my parts for a weldless brewstand. I'm busy tomorrow.

Gagged while turning over my spent grain compost heap... which is for the hops garden. Almost forgot, I exchanged my 20lbs. CO2 tank, at airgas in El Cajon. $35 bucks dang...

Scrubbed nearly a case of emptied hb bottles. Still haveta check my NZ IPA 2nd FG test. I hope it's done & cleared more so I can dry hop it...

Last Night: did some prep work for Brew Class Session 2 that will occur on Saturday.
Tonight: make sure everything is in order for tomorrow; going to be a good day.

A very beery week for me! On Wednesday, I volunteered at an AHA event on Capitol Hill pouring beer for congressional staff, brewers and folks like Charlie P :mug:. Yesterday, I helped brew a 10 BBL batch of a collaboration beer that is going to NHC. Today, I'm brewing the 4th iteration of my RIS, to be aged until fall '14. Tomorrow, I'm brewing a double batch of Brett Saison and/or a Brett Trois IPA.

Wow! Sounds like a cool time was had. I finally got a good FG on my Maori IPA just now. So I'll be dry hopping it for a week after a run to get some spring water for my next brew hopefully tomorrow. A PM Berlin Wheat kit from midwest.

Latest posts

Back