Drunken Sailor, reporting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shipwreck_Jonny

Reaction score
Hey there. Long time drinker, first time brewer. this site is a freaking godsend for a nub such as i. my first attempt is fermenting as we speak. i've talked about doing home brewing with the missus for a while now and she got me a starter kit for our anniversary (she's a keeper) complete with a beer-in-a-box recipe from True Brew; to me, that's like making a Betty Crocker cake-in-a-box, so i decided to mess with the recipe a little bit (not too much, though; i dont want to brew weasel piss...). Everything i read about adding hops at different stages, adding other fermentables, playing with priming sugars and even just how to get my confused ass started came from this site. for that, i offer a humble 'thank you' to everyone's knowledge that i have siphoned and hope that i will eventually get up to a skill and experience level to give back.

-j

@ nukebrewer: not a bubble head, but I am an ET if that counts for anything. I've kicked around the idea of going silent service, but there is something about being at sea and out on the weatherdecks... but we can still be friends.

@ sand: on shore duty, but I'll be haze grey and under way before long. At least I work near the beach.

Well, without trying to start a fight, I was a Coast Guard Boatswain's Mate, in the eighties.
These days I sail my own boat, a wooden ketch.
Thanks for your service.

@ nukebrewer: not a bubble head, but I am an ET if that counts for anything. I've kicked around the idea of going silent service, but there is something about being at sea and out on the weatherdecks... but we can still be friends.

Yeah, I was just messin' with you, man.

Well, without trying to start a fight, I was a Coast Guard Boatswain's Mate, in the eighties.
These days I sail my own boat, a wooden ketch.
Thanks for your service.

Did you hear that the Coast Guard got a new depth sensing system for its boats? In the interest of saving money it only has two settings: Knee Deep and Too Deep. Haha! It's better spoken so you can make sound effects like the knee deep and too deep are electronic sounds, but I think it still works. I love the friendly (and sometimes not so friendly) rivalry between services.

nukebrewer said:

Did you hear that the Coast Guard got a new depth sensing system for its boats? In the interest of saving money it only has two settings: Knee Deep and Too Deep. Haha! It's better spoken so you can make sound effects like the knee deep and too deep are electronic sounds, but I think it still works. I love the friendly (and sometimes not so friendly) rivalry between services.

Hey Nuke,
I've seen your posts here and assumed you were a sub nuke. Not too many surface ships in Groton the last time I was there. Former ET1(SS) nuke myself. Got out after 9 yrs and a tour at NFAS back in 98. Never any regrets, but I did have some good times back on the boat. That said, I still have the recurring dream that I'm back on the boat as they station the maneuvering watch. I keep telling everyone I'm out, but they just tell me I need to start the reactor.

I'm working on my Brew Plant Manual. I'm on page 642 and am just about to the point where I light the burner to heat my strike water.

Regards,
Brobeman

I once got an email about how we can call each other all kinds of names, zoomies, flyboys, grunts, jarheadss, squids..... they are terms of endearment that we have earned the right to call eachother. if you have not served you do not have that right,,,,, wish i could find it, it was a good one.... former Air Force

Hey Nuke,
I've seen your posts here and assumed you were a sub nuke. Not too many surface ships in Groton the last time I was there. Former ET1(SS) nuke myself. Got out after 9 yrs and a tour at NFAS back in 98. Never any regrets, but I did have some good times back on the boat. That said, I still have the recurring dream that I'm back on the boat as they station the maneuvering watch. I keep telling everyone I'm out, but they just tell me I need to start the reactor.

I'm working on my Brew Plant Manual. I'm on page 642 and am just about to the point where I light the burner to heat my strike water.

Regards,
Brobeman

Nice! What boat(s) were you on? I was on the Texas and am now on shore duty here in Groton. I'll be getting out at the end of the enlistment at 11 1/2 years.

That said, I still have the recurring dream that I'm back on the boat as they station the maneuvering watch. I keep telling everyone I'm out, but they just tell me I need to start the reactor.

You and I and probably only a few others on this board actually understand why that's funny. Haha!

nukebrewer said:
Nice! What boat(s) were you on? I was on the Texas and am now on shore duty here in Groton. I'll be getting out at the end of the enlistment at 11 1/2 years.

I was on the Batfish which was scrapped long ago. Good luck with your transition. It's been great for me, and the rest of the guys I served with.

Regards,
Brobeman

Greetings and "welcome aboard" shipmate. I joined the NAVY before I graduated high school (1971) on what they called the delayed entry program. By the way I was on a surface vessel out of Groton... an OLD Destroyer USS Charles P. Cecil (DD835). HA yeah we were a target.... I waited to tweak recipe's.... did that on my second brew LOL> Have fun and cheers.

I once got an email about how we can call each other all kinds of names, zoomies, flyboys, grunts, jarheadss, squids..... they are terms of endearment that we have earned the right to call eachother. if you have not served you do not have that right,,,,, wish i could find it, it was a good one.... former Air Force

All the cats I know in the USAF I lovingly refer to as Chair Force pilots. You're right though... we all give each other nicknames, even within the same branch (like HT's or Hull Techs are called Turd Chasers or **** Men, for example) but its really just a big dysfunctional family.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and thanks to everyone who has served. You paved the way for us. The fleet has changed a lot, even in the last 6 years. I hear stories form the old timers and my family and wish I was in back in the day... but, make the best with what you have, right?

Latest posts

Back