Motorizing an MM3-2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackstrat5

Reaction score
I'm thinking about motorizing the mill. I have a1/4 horse motor sitting around. Could I get away with a 1/4 horse motor or do I really need to step it up to a full horse?

I think a 1/4 will do it just fine. Most cordless drills are way less powerfull and do a fine job, so a reasonable reduction in speed will yield a lot more additional torque, so you will be fine. I am assuming you are going too reduce the motor speed with a belt and pulley system too.

Wheelchair Bob

I do plan on reducing the speed with pulleys. To bring down the 1725 RPM from the motor to 150 or 200 RPM for the rollers, I'm going to have to reduce the speed.

I was concerned given they're the 2" rollers wit a 1/2" drive, that they 1/4 horse might lock up when it initially starts chewing the grain. I have to give my 5/8" drill full force to get the grain going before I can slow it down and keep the grain feeding.

Back