I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sesame Chicken Sauce

2 cups chicken broth
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon chile paste
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 cup cornstarch, scant
1 teaspoon crushed sesame seeds, optional
1/2 teaspoon miso paste, optional
1/4 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon chicken bullion, optional
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, optional

2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, garnish

Thoroughly mix all ingredients, then heat sauce until cornstarch sets. Remove from heat, spoon onto food. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.

No one can make your decisions for you. In the end, the only opinion that really matters is your own. After all, you are the one in the drivers seat of your life.

I actually have a 4x4, the weight in the back helps keep you from fish tailing when it's slick though.

opus345 said:
Fantastic stuff.

I've seen that around, but haven't tried it. Is it garlicky? I don't care for garlic in spicy products. I love garlic, but I like using it fresh. I would love sriracha, but it has this funky stale garlic flavor that kills it for me.

I've seen that around, but haven't tried it. Is it garlicky? I don't care for garlic in spicy products. I love garlic, but I like using it fresh. I would love sriracha, but it has this funky stale garlic flavor that kills it for me.

http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/oelek.htm

"Sambal Oelek is made of chilies with no other additives such as garlic or spices for a more simpler taste. Use this sauce to add heat to a dish without altering the other delicate flavors.

Available in 8 oz., 18 oz., and 8.50 lbs. sizes."

We buy 8 oz jars, but I've seen the 8.5 lbs monster over at the Asian market.

Oh, the boys came home and they are being noisy again, drinking my beer. I might head back home sooner rather than later, don't know yet. Hubby probably learned his lesson, don't **** with me. My best friend Laura went and sat with him today, said he's very sad, and why won't I answer his phone calls. Umm, he pissed me off and I don't want to talk to him.... I feel bad, I don't feel bad, I actually feel conflicted. I might give him another chance, or I might not. Just going to wing it and play it by ear. Laura says she will help care for him for as long as I want to stay away. She's tough as nails, reminds me of myself, probably why we get along so well. I really doubt he will try to hurt her.

Well, maybe I will go out to the living room and see what the boys are carrying on about.

opus345 said:
http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/oelek.htm

"Sambal Oelek is made of chilies with no other additives such as garlic or spices for a more simpler taste. Use this sauce to add heat to a dish without altering the other delicate flavors.

Available in 8 oz., 18 oz., and 8.50 lbs. sizes."

We buy 8 oz jars, but I've seen the 8.5 lbs monster over at the Asian market.

Awesome, thank you! Definitely going to grab some of that.

Hmm, I'm going through my go bag tonight... Yeah I'm an idiot. To much heavy stuff in it, and no water. I don't know wtf I was thinking. I've pulled out a bunch of unnecessary stuff. I'll get some bottled water to add later.

There are a few things I'm going to trade out for lighter stuff. I mean, zippos are nice but once you add add up the flints, wicks, extra fuel, and the actual lighter it weighs more then it needs to. A cheapo plastic lighter is actually better for my kit I think. Steel D rings are also nice, but plastic ones are perfectly good attachment points and not so heavy.

Leadgolem said:
Hmm, I'm going through my go bag tonight... Yeah I'm an idiot. To much heavy stuff in it, and no water. I don't know wtf I was thinking. I've pulled out a bunch of unnecessary stuff. I'll get some bottled water to add later.

There are a few things I'm going to trade out for lighter stuff. I mean, zippos are nice but once you add add up the flints, wicks, extra fuel, and the actual lighter it weighs more then it needs to. A cheapo plastic lighter is actually better for my kit I think. Steel D rings are also nice, but plastic ones are perfectly good attachment points and not so heavy.

Bugout bag?

Always nice to keep essentials in one stop to grab and go. Mines mostly bullets jerky and some homebrew

12:30 am on a Sunday. I'm not working today. Why am going through my go bag? What's worse, I'm stone cold sober.

My 50 feet of paracord hank came undone and turned into a giant mess. I was having a lot of trouble getting it back into shape, until I thought of my sister knitting. When I was little kid I would wind yarn balls for her from the hanks and talk to her while she knitted. Ok. paracord yarn ball complete. Now I can stow it without it turning into a mess again.

So for $600 I can take a nonviolent crisis intervention course and actually get a certification for it. Like what SharonaZ was talking about. It's like a 4 day thing and you learn how to talk the person down and/or restrain them. In a nonviolent manner, subdue the patient. I'm going to take the course. And there are also student loans where I can sign up for nursing classes. Figure out what I am doing here. Not sure how long hubby will live but it could be years. I will just learn what to do, I have a plan now. And the training could be helpful in my future. I won't be a soft nurse, I might seem a little cold-hearted at times, but I can learn how to take care of my patient. I can do this. Watch me.

BobbiLynn said:
Oh, the boys came home and they are being noisy again, drinking my beer. I might head back home sooner rather than later, don't know yet. Hubby probably learned his lesson, don't **** with me. My best friend Laura went and sat with him today, said he's very sad, and why won't I answer his phone calls. Umm, he pissed me off and I don't want to talk to him.... I feel bad, I don't feel bad, I actually feel conflicted. I might give him another chance, or I might not. Just going to wing it and play it by ear. Laura says she will help care for him for as long as I want to stay away. She's tough as nails, reminds me of myself, probably why we get along so well. I really doubt he will try to hurt her.

Well, maybe I will go out to the living room and see what the boys are carrying on about.

Keep thinking.

Punity said:
Always nice to keep essentials in one stop to grab and go. Mines mostly bullets jerky and some homebrew

I guess my purse is my bug out bag. Floss, phone cord, ATM card, lots of random stuff, too.

Leadgolem said:
My 50 feet of paracord hank came undone and turned into a giant mess. I was having a lot of trouble getting it back into shape, until I thought of my sister knitting. When I was little kid I would wind yarn balls for her from the hanks and talk to her while she knitted. Ok. paracord yarn ball complete. Now I can stow it without it turning into a mess again.

Did you know they have machines to rewind yarn? You'd think it would come perfectly wound, but apparently that's not the case.

...I guess my purse is my bug out bag. Floss, phone cord, ATM card, lots of random stuff, too.

Did you know they have machines to rewind yarn? You'd think it would come perfectly wound, but apparently that's not the case.
I did no know that. Though it isn't that surprising.

You must a have a truly impressive purse. :pipe:

You know, I actually do have a charger for my phone in my kit. There is a usb port in the red cross hand crank+solar flashlight/radio thing. I've also got a usb cord for the phone in there. I tested it when I first got the radio, it will actually reasonable charge my cell phone.

I have watched that show preppers and I guess I am kind of a prepper. I keep enough food in storage that I can feed myself until the next crop comes in. I do not stress about bugging out or anything because the best place for me to be is on my place where I can grow food.

My dad went through the depression and through talks with him I think having property where you can grow food is important. Folks helped each other back then and bartered for most things. Perhaps it is naive of me but I do not see a doomsday coming up. Hard times yes but not bad enough to warrant some of the things I have seen on the TV shows

So for $600 I can take a nonviolent crisis intervention course and actually get a certification for it. Like what SharonaZ was talking about. It's like a 4 day thing and you learn how to talk the person down and/or restrain them. In a nonviolent manner, subdue the patient. I'm going to take the course. And there are also student loans where I can sign up for nursing classes. Figure out what I am doing here. Not sure how long hubby will live but it could be years. I will just learn what to do, I have a plan now. And the training could be helpful in my future. I won't be a soft nurse, I might seem a little cold-hearted at times, but I can learn how to take care of my patient. I can do this. Watch me.

Sometimes we all float ideas on forums like this to test the waters and see if our fellow netizens give us the virtual eye roll. Sometimes they are crazy ideas and we deserve the eye roll. This one is a really good idea. :rockin:

I have watched that show preppers and I guess I am kind of a prepper. I keep enough food in storage that I can feed myself until the next crop comes in. I do not stress about bugging out or anything because the best place for me to be is on my place where I can grow food.

My dad went through the depression and through talks with him I think having property where you can grow food is important. Folks helped each other back then and bartered for most things. Perhaps it is naive of me but I do not see a doomsday coming up. Hard times yes but not bad enough to warrant some of the things I have seen on the TV shows
That would be preferable. For me it's a matter of services being cut off, or a must evacuate situation. Something like a tornado or earthquake could shut down the water and gas to my home. If that happened, I would have to leave. Something like a serious fire or chemical spill could also necessitate an evacuation.

I actually started putting this kind of kit together when I was a kid living in Washington state. Mount Rainier is a volcano you know. If it went, we would have to evacuate and there was no chance emergency services would be able to cope with all the evacuees.

When I was stationed in Antarctica carried around a survival pack of sorts. Some c-rats, extra ECW gear. But not really much stuff.

There was a guy who got stationed there same time as me. We both did 4 deployments on the ice. By the fourth year his survival pack was carried in a full sea bag. Mine was still the same.

Last year there we had a safety stand down. He was invited to show the contents of his survival pack. Really well put together and he could easily survive in the elements for a couple days. Funniest thing he brought out was at the end.. A blowup doll. It got a good laugh

When I was stationed in Antarctica carried around a survival pack of sorts. Some c-rats, extra ECW gear. But not really much stuff.

There was a guy who got stationed there same time as me. We both did 4 deployments on the ice. By the fourth year his survival pack was carried in a full sea bag. Mine was still the same.

Last year there we had a safety stand down. He was invited to show the contents of his survival pack. Really well put together and he could easily survive in the elements for a couple days. Funniest thing he brought out was at the end.. A blowup doll. It got a good laugh
Interesting. I guess that was his "comfort" object. :ban:

I just had to much junk in mine. To much duplication of function. I trimmed it down so that with 200 oz of bottled water it's about 24lbs now. 13lbs of that is water. I don't have a scale that's accurate in that weight range. So I weighed me. Then weighed me wearing the pack on my bathroom scale.

I ran a chainsaw today for the first time in a long time. I'd forgotten how much that kicks your but. Either that, or I'm in way worse shape then I realized.

I don't have a scale that's accurate in that weight range. So I weighed me. Then weighed me wearing the pack on my bathroom scale.

I've done that with the cat, but then I disliked the first number so much that I didn't pay attention to the second number. When the significant other asked me how much the cat weighed, I think I said, "Too damn much!" and walked out of the room.

I ran a chainsaw today for the first time in a long time. I'd forgotten how much that kicks your but. Either that, or I'm in way worse shape then I realized.

Don't blame you there I ran a little shake rat saw only a 2ft bar or so couple days ago and it beat me up.

Evening late nite fans. Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. I did. My wife's the best, and my kids and I gave her a nice day I think.

Here's a somber little tune from Jamie Cullum. I never heard of this guy until the movie came out, then I got a bunch of his music. I like. I don't know what the words mean, maybe nothing, but they make a nice song.

For your late nite soundtrack...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a confession to make.

The last two times I cried: In my mom's arms, 16 yrs old, when she apologized to me for a lot of things that I won't get into here. And when she died in Mexico. I'm not an emotional person, and I don't get that way on Mother's Day or any other day, but when I look back I know that I loved her and she made me what I am, and I miss her.

Happy Mothers Day to all the moms out there.

Sawed a lot of wood in my teens, didn't seem much of a task with a chainsaw. Neatest tool ever was a splitting axe. Now, hmmm.

Tonight my 19 year old daughter had a couple friends come over for dinner. Was really nice. My daughter hasn't seen her mom in a year or so, her friend John mom and dad passed from cancer a few years back and the girl Stephanie is from the Phillipines and hasn't seen her parents in a few years. Was nice to share family time with them especially on a special day. My daughter asked her friend John to guess my age. He gave an age about 6 years older than I am.

Wake up call. I need to go back in the woods with a chainsaw and splitting axe and get my old arse in shape.

Back