No yeast LHBS closed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillyDave

Reaction score
I sanitized the carboy then siphoned and aerated the wort. I put the airlock on, so nothing else is getting in. Am I OK until tomorrow afternoon when I can get yeast?

As long as the fermenting vessel was sanitized, the wort was boiled and you didn't aireate , you should be ok for 24 hours till you get some yeast. I always try to keep a couple of packets of various dry yeasts in the fridge to keep just that from happening. Or worse if I get a smacker that that doesn't plump. It's a fall back and punt at the goal line type of thing for me.

Wheelchair Bob

As long as the fermenting vessel was sanitized, the wort was boiled and you didn't aireate , you should be ok for 24 hours till you get some yeast. I always try to keep a couple of packets of various dry yeasts in the fridge to keep just that from happening. Or worse if I get a smacker that that doesn't plump. It's a fall back and punt at the goal line type of thing for me.

Wheelchair Bob

+1
By the way, smack packs don't have to inflate to be used, it is an indication the yeast is healthy, but not necessary.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/faqs.cfm?website=1

Wheelchair Bob

He did aerate, but he's probably still ok.

You should be okay. I would make sure it stays in a very cool area and undisturbed. Pitch your yeast as quickly as you can.

Mouse

Ok, Ill aerate again. What's the purpose of this? Does O2 fall out of solution over time despite the airlock?

Aeration is bad once fermentation stops (CO2 from fermentation will scrub it all out anyway.) And most of the O2 will still be there when you pitch the yeast. There is no real need to re-oxygenate it. Dry yeast dosen't need O2 because they are dried at peak sterol levels.

Back