Big honey character in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ostomo517

Reaction score
Have not brewed a ton of ciders but my experience in beer brewing with honey always has been honey will ferment out and dry out the beer leaving behind no real honey flavor. I want some good honey flavor in my next cider, how can i do this or is backsweetening with honey my only option?

Sorry I cannot offer much advice.... only tried making hard cider a couple of times...

But have you ever considerd trying different yeasts? Like a sweet mead yeast that is supposed to leave some honey sugars behind unfermented?

I've heard it makes all the difference... and most wine yeasts ferment rather dry (the problem I was having). Sure you already knew this though.

Some have said they had awesome results with ale yeasts also, though I haven't looked into it much... best of luck.

Back sweetening for sure.

I would assume( I stress assume) that if you treated it like a JAOM Mead it would be sweet like honey. For example, I wonder if you used safale 05 that craps out around 12% and added 3.5 lbs of honey per gallon, the yeast would die out before they could ferment all the honey. But- I guess it would by a cyser, not a cider.....

Not sure....

Have not brewed a ton of ciders but my experience in beer brewing with honey always has been honey will ferment out and dry out the beer leaving behind no real honey flavor. I want some good honey flavor in my next cider, how can i do this or is backsweetening with honey my only option?

You might try making a cyser, apple juice & honey. It's more like mead that cider though. You could also try making a graf using honey malt, it'll add a honey-like flavour. You could also prime with honey.
Regards, GF.

I think the yeast strain has more to do with it...I brew strong ciders with Red Star Champagne, Lalvin D-47, and EC-1118. I've found with a good amount of bottle aging the cider brewed with D-47 has a residual honey sweetness. When you bottle it's VERY dry, but after about 6 months in the bottle, the apple and honey flavors come back as the drink ages and the flavors mesh and mellow.

You might try making a cyser, apple juice & honey. It's more like mead that cider though. You could also try making a graf using honey malt, it'll add a honey-like flavour. You could also prime with honey.
Regards, GF.

I've read a lot of happy reports about the 3 lb of honey per gallon of cider recipe with sweet mead yeast... but it was more of mead... Umm, in the sticky they talk about it.

Also, in the sticky it's discussed the different effects of using different yeast strains with pasteurized vs. Unpasteurized juice and adding different types (and amounts) of different sugars is discussed a lil as well... should check it out.

Back