Feeling a little stupid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
No sure where I got my wires crossed…but after about 10 batches…I just realized I have been dry hopping when I transfer to the fermentor!

I am currently working Pliny the Elder and rereading the directions see I was SUPPOSED to ferment and then dry hop. I have not idea why I did not realize this sooner, and all the posts I have read thus far are pretty much common sense - dry hopping is for aroma and introducing it as soon as I have been is…well, wasting lots of hops aroma.

To date the beer has been good, but I feel stupid I did not make that connection until now!

Most innovation and new techniques come from mistakes, don't feel stupid. Try new things, and enjoy the beer as you go, Cheers!

Thanks - appreciate the boost…but still feeling silly since with all the reading I have done i should have caught a fundamental misstep in the process.

To date the brews have been fine…but pleasing my better half is key to this hobby and she is a hop head so getting that right is…well…key to survival and the continued support to my new found hobby!

I did the very same thing on my first brew session this year. If we were pros, we'd be getting paid to do this. As it is...:D

Actually…I miswrote. I have been dry hopping in primary for the past four batches. So I started out correct…but then entered a wrong step in the process.

Fortunately the "wrong" batches are super big and heavily hopped brews…so I am pretty sure they will still be good, but darn it that I essentially wasted a great deal of aroma.

Now all that said…the basement smelled incredibly good over the past few weeks!

U can dry hop in primary. Just let it ferment out 2 to 3 weeks and then dry hop 5 to x amount of days then bottle or keg. Although I have read of a method where u start dry hop at peak krausen with amazing results so it was prob fine.

I'm pretty novice at this, so take what I say with a grain of 2-row... but from what I understand if you try to dry hop while fermentation is still happening, the CO2 release will take some of the aroma away with it. Not the end of the world, you will still get the flavor characteristics and some aromas from your mis-timed dry hop (after all, it isn't much different than a zero-minute hop addition), it just won't turn out exactly as planned.

Who knows, maybe your methods end up producing the exact results you are hoping for. Only way to tell is by brewing another batch, doing a traditional dry hop and comparing the results between the two batches. That means you get more beer, always a good thing imo!

I have never dry hoped at peak krausen personally but it is a method I have heard of and might give it a go one day for an experament of sorts. Maybe make a pale ale split it dry hop one towards end and the other at peak krausen. I don't know just a rook here myself but u can definatly use your primary vessel to dry hop if you want. I always rack to secondary because I need to free up vessel and to wash yeast its less stuff in the yeast.

I wouldn't worry about it. Think about the improvement you'll get with with basically no effort! Plus ten points to your hoppiness trait. Level up!

I added about 2 ounces to secondary…so this one will certainly be hoppy.

Just remember, dry hopping puts little to no IBU's in your beer. Aroma only... it's helps that euphoric hop smell you get when you lift the glass to you face. your nose, and your brain will thank you! :)

Gary

Latest posts

Back