DIY Carboy / Corny Keg / hopefully Sanke Keg Washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracehelton

Reaction score
As can be imagined by the title. I am very confident in my ability to build a washer capable of taking on a carboy or Pepsi keg. I'm just not sure if it will work in a Sanke keg. Likely it will require the spear to be removed. I might be able to accomplish building a set up where you could leave it in but visually verifying that the contents are cleaned will be impossible. I am a Quality Control inspector by trade and therefore the lack of ability to inspect the post cleaning condition doesn't sit well. My main question is, would anyone have any interest in me posting my process with a very thorough listing of my parts used (names of parts, where I bought them and how much $) ? I have seen a few build and they just kinda say "3/4 PVC and 1/4" hose barb". That's lame to me, I have found a few parts that make the build pretty neat, I'm just waiting on everything I ordered to be delivered. So... Any interest?

I would love to see that. I am a dairy scientist so I feel you on the inspection. When I was brewing on the pilot plant in grad school I had a rigged setup for cleaning sankes involving soaking, upside down kegs, sanke tap w/valve removed and just kind of went with it.

I may have spoke too soon. I saw a post titled similar to mine. Something like "DIY Carboy/keg cleaner". So this won't be a groundbreaking build or anything. But I have some improvements in mind over the one I'm referring to, so I will still itemize my build.

I am still waiting on my pump to come in. I just got word it is shipping out now. I will have some updates in a couple days. I was just trying to gauge if it was worth the posts or if nobody would care... It sounds like there is some interest. I already have a pretty good idea of what I want to do but I'm not sure how I can accomplish the snake washing feature while leaving the spear in. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for implementing some cool features?

Wow! If you happen to live in Southern California and need a pump... I got an email saying my pump was shipping out on 5/10 (This morning), I come home and find the pump at my doorstep. It's like they just sent some dude to drop it off. I will take it! Anyways, here is my attempt to make this very thorough as I stated.
- I bought a 1/3 Hp Superior Pump (Brand Name, not my egotistical claim of pump supremacy) Submersible Pump. I purchased it off of amazon for $59 free shipping @ http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Pump-91330-Thermoplastic-Submersible/dp/B000X07GQS/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually built one but it was just a simple pvc attachment onto the pump. I have been busy rebuilding my brew room because I had a house flood and the beer gods decided the flood should centralize right on my favorite room in the house. As far as the pump, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-carboy-keg-cleaner-300441/ this is close but I did mine with a 3/4" copper "wand" tube to allow more drainage. I had plans of grandeur but it just didnt pan out that way.

Latest posts

Back